1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin Pro Bass 300 ohm's and cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mathijsdog, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Mathijsdog

Mathijsdog

Oct 21, 2006
    I've got myself a Carvin Pro Bass 300 With a 4x10 cabinet. But I would like to upgrade with a 1x15 or 1x18 to go with this stack. but I don't know about Ohm's and stuff.

The head says it needs minimal 2 Ohms and is 300 watt
    The 4x10 cab is 8 ohm and is 400 watt

I've got different ways to connect cabs to my top.
    1. Speaker 1 and 2 output with a bi-amp switch
    2. Crossover hi out and low out.

What should I use, and how does bi-amping en crossovers work?

I want to have the whole 300 watt offcourse, but don't know how to do it. I want to use the 8ohm 4x10 cab for high-ends, but would probably sell it if i need a cab with different ohm to get more power.

On top of that I've got an extra question:D : I'm thinkin' of adding an audio-subwoofer for extra lows to go with the 10's. Is it a good idear to connect this one to the lo out of the crossover function? And is a normal subwoofer as good as a cab of, let's say, 17/18 inch?

Support me!!!!! Help :bassist:

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    The 2 ohm reference is most likely a minimum rating, and your amp should produce more than 300w. when run with a 2 ohm load.
    This means you could run up to three, 8ohm cabs, or one 8ohm and one 4ohm, or two 4ohm cabs.

Most S/S amps power ratings are quoted at 4ohm.

I checked the Carvin website and could find no info on your amp. They do have a forum, you might get some info there.

I would not expect any home/car audio subs to work well with your setup, but yes you would only want to send the lows to a sub.

Adding a 15" or 18" bass-cab should help getting more volume/watts out of your head. I would experiment with using both bi-amp and normal settings to see what works best for you.

A single 4ohm cab would also cause your head to have a higher output than a 8ohm model of otherwise equal specs.

3. Mathijsdog

Mathijsdog

Oct 21, 2006
    Tnx! Just one thing, dus the bi-amp switch also switch in ohm?

tnx again,

Maddogmaniac