Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Pro Sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Feb 19, 2002.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I like the price on the power amps. $360 is a great price. I was advised to stay away from them though. However, the guy is trying to sell me the same power in a Demeter for $900 or a Crest for $875.

Are the Carvins any good? Any problems? Good sound? Good (accurately spec'd) power?

2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    carvin's power amps are wonderful. consider teh price, and i like them even better. i know i am way biased towards the company, but i feel as if i can give an honest opinion. My band used to play with a PA rig consisting of a CE2000, and two EV Eliminator 15" speakers. They guy who owned the stuff moved away, so we had to get a new setup. Te singer bought a package from carvin including two 1588 speakers (2x15, + 2x8, + horn) and a DCM 2000. great setup. the DCM isnt a featherweight by any means, but considering its power, its not bad at all. built like a tank. its been knocked off of speakers, PA racks and the likes while we were feeding it signal, and it never missed a thing. We primarily use it for vocals and drums. defenitly has power to spare, and its a good deal. weve never had heat problems with it, unlike the CE2000. Once at practice i "borrowed" it and used it to run the 18" ext speaker on my rig. i only used one side pf it, into a 4 ohm load. man that thing was the voice of god! entire house shook, not a single fart, no clipping, and crystal clear sound all the way down to my B!

i would say the DCM series is one of the best poweramps out there, and defenitly the best price. I know when it comes time for me to go to a pre/power setup i will purchase a DCM. durable, no noticable sound coloration, loud, and cheap.

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I agree that Carvin makes excellent power amps. I have a FET1000 that is over 5 years old and has never had a problem. I currently use a Carvin PA (8 channel, with 3 - 333 w power amps) and it is excellent, too. I had a Carvin PB300 bass amp and used it extensively for 5 years without a problem. As far as I'm concerned, they make extremely reliable power amps that sound great, and are a real bargain for the price.

4. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I've had mine about 2 years drove everything with it at one time or another. The only thing to remember is output wattage at the load you desire.

The DCM 1000 delivers 1000 Watts rms into 4 ohms bridged...I think. Check the specs out for what you need for sure. But as far as reliablity I can TESIFY. They make great stuff.

Good Luck ZULU

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    So far, so good for my DCM1000 - but I don't gig, either. I've never noticed it getting warm in extended jam and practice sessions at 8 Ohms bridged, though. I like it, especially for the price!

6. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I hate to rain on Carvin's parade, but QSC RMX amps can be had cheaper from Lord Valve. Do a search for the URL, I just posted it again last night in another thread.

7. Is the QSC as "dropable" as the Carvin?

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I myself am looking pretty hard at the DCM2000.

Maybe something lower. Is there any advantage to running both sides at 8 ohms, vs. running a mono load of 4? So does that mean BOTH cabs'll get 2000 watts? or they split 2000 watts, like , 1000 and 1000. If it's the former, then I'd sure as heck just go with the DCM1000...

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a DCM1500 that I used to use to push my Acmes that works and sounds great! It's doing P.A. duty now.......but I think for the price they are hard to beat!
    Aloha, Jerry

10. Not a big QSC fan here......Carvin has my vote

11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I'm guessing you have two 8 ohm cabs. If you run one cab off of each side of a DCM2000, each cab will get 425 watts. Running them together bridged mono the amp will put out 2000 watts, so each cab will get 1000 watts. Running one cab off of each side of a DCM1000 each cab will get 225 watts. Bridged the DCM1000 will put out 1000 watts, so each cab will get 500 watts.

12. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    It's certainly heavier! :D

I have not had problems with my other Carvin gear, but enough people do with their power amps that I have to question the reliability. Further, warranty service requires freighting the amp back to San Diego. QSC has a rock solid reputation and authorized warranty service can be found anywhere around the world.

When I bought my new rig, I was looking at the DCM1500 and the RMX 1450 or 1850HD. At the same price, I would have gone with the RMX. Since the RMX 1850HD was and is cheaper than the DCM1500, it was a no-brainer.

The RMX's fan is a bit noisy. That's the only complaint I've had to date.

Please understand that I'm not trying to knock Carvin. I'm just pointing out that they're no longer the value leader in power amps.

13. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    What don't you like about QSC? I'm curious.

I'd like to be a Carvin fan, but I think I know too much. :oops:

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanks!

Now...is there any particular disadvantage to running stereo vs. Bridged? If there is, I'd just go w/ the DCM1000, if not, the DCM2000, or maybe 1500...

15. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Who are these people who have had trouble with Carvin? They certainly aren't on this board. They are also very popular here in Hawaii, and I don't know anyone who has had problems with them. I've used Carvin power amps for years with no problems whatsoever. There is no question in my mind about their reliability. They are my first choice in amplification. If "enough people" have problems with them then where are these people?

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Aren't the RMX series amps made in China? I like QSC stuff, but no thanks...at that price point, I'll stick to Carvins. Sometimes you have to take a stand.

(Ducking, and hurriedly donning asbestos trou...)

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ok another inept asinine question. It says on the back of the Carvin DCM 1000...
    Output +: 4ohm Min, Bridge only.

So If I plug an 8ohm into the Bridge only output...I'll be getting the 700 watts bridge for my 8ohm cab? Correct? Or, being Bridge Only, I would have to wait for another 8 ohm to do that, and have to settle for the 225 RMS going into the cab? which is better than 175 watts, but only by 50 watts, and if I'm gonna pay 400 bucks, I'd better get at least an initial significant power boost, so I don't work my current head as hard.

And: I have an Eden-WT300, it has a Recording out XLR, the Carvin has a XLR input...but I heard the signal might be too week to "trip" the poweramp, is this true? Please tell me no, I'd really like get a nice big horkin Poweramp- http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?CFG=2&P2=DCM1000&P1=PWA
    Here:
    [​IMG]

(Plan? Eden WT-300's Pre, DCM100, D-410XLT+118XLT both 8 ohm cabs, thunder baby, thunder!)

18. I bought a dcm 1000 a couple months ago. i must say it is great. no problems with overheating and it never clips. it is a little heavy (but in reality what equipment isn't). I like the sound of it with my sabddi too. no problems here -we actually are going to buy more carvin poweramps for our bands pa system.

19. Every QSC I have used either it be a RMX 1202 (or whatever it is) to a usa series.....they have always peaked and blown out. So I switched to all Crown K2's......I just never had good experiences with them. I know that they are good, and make good stuff, I just have never had good experiences with them. Now I have with Carvin, thats why I would choose Carvin over QSC

just my opinion.....nothing against the company

20. The couple of Carvin amps I've personally experienced have spent more time on the bench than in the field. this may not be indicative of all of them but it's enough to scare me off. I've been using (and abusing) literally hundreds of QSCs and Crowns for ten years and have seen very few failures. I think QSC has it over Carvin in both sound quality and reliability.