1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

carvin ps15B-4? on ebay. Notice the 'B'???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ray man, Aug 3, 2012.

1. ....

2. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Could the "B" stand for "B Stock"?
    Maybe open box returns or leftovers after the switch to Celestion?
    Have you contacted the seller to ask?

3. 5port

5port

Oct 14, 2009
    LI,new yawk
    Since its rated at 600W this looks like the speaker Carvin installs in their 1X15 cabinet.

- Heavy-duty 15" woofer
    - Titanium 1" HF driver
    - Imp: 4 ohms
    - Power handling: 600 Watts
    - Speakon™ & 1/4" jack connector plate
    - Freq. Resp: 35 to 20K Hz -3dB
    - Sensitivity: 99dB @ 1w and 127 dB @ 600w
    - Covered in black vinyl
    - Size: 23.5" wide x 18.25" deep x 25.5" high
    - Weight: 52 lbs
    - Made in San Diego, California

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/BR115-4

I have the 400W PS15-4 ($69.95) in one of my cabinets and am happy with it. Its marked as a Celestion.

I also have owned the PS-15 in the past made by Eminence and would say that one was the best.

4. Hmmm. I wonder if its NOS.
    Interesting, I cant find info anywhere except ebay.

5. Anything else to say, anybody?

6. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Apart from the sensitivity spec, I'm not seeing any specs I consider crucial to a purchase decision. On that basis alone I'd pass.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I have a pair of older Carvin ps12B's that are quite nice speakers. I didn't know they made a B version before I found these and they don't make them anymore.

The B must mean bass or something. They're a bit of an LF version of the regular ps series it seems but not a full blown LF. They still sound nice on their own, just warmer, less top and a full bottom.

They are efficient. Not meaning high spl, they're probably 94-95db, but meaning they make efficient use of the power you send them. You don't have to turn up very much to bring in a nice full bottom/low mid sound.

I kept them and will be putting them in my cabs when I make a new cab for my neo's. I like them, seem like good speakers. Maybe can't handle a big thrashing, bit you don't have to to get a good sound.

If those 15's are anything like the 12's, I'd say they're good buy, depending on price of course. I'd be leery of the 4 ohms unless you're looking for a nice warm sounding 15 for a tube amp or something.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I got some specs on my 12's from bgavins spreadsheet. They were complete enough to do a model and the cabs came out sounding as predicted. Can dig that up and see if he has any specs for the 15's. I don't put a direct link to it or it makes him get all sorts of spam.

9. Thax for the info Will.

I was just curious realy, as I never seen these before.
    I was also wondering how this might compare to the black widow 1505dt-4 in my 1x15bxbw cab

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I have 8ohm 1505 BW's too. They'll handle getting run a little harder than the Carvin B will. The carvin will handle volume well, just not quite as much pounding as the Widow. The Widow will also have more upper mid punch and cut. The Carvin B will sound warmer, less top. About as much bass as the Widow, but probably sound like more, just due to there being less topend by comparison.

11. Interesting..
    How would the carvin B compare to the 1502?

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Again warmer, fuller bottom, more lows and cleaner. It'll have more xmax than a 1502. Won't get that grindy sound when you push it. My 12's have xmax somewhere between 4-4.5mm. The 1502 has 2.8, the 1505, 4.8mm.

Ancient thread on my 12's.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/hopefully-no-duh-speaker-gurus-555921/

Duke was right on about the efficient use of power. I ended up changing the cabs a bit for Deltalites but the Carvins still drop right in there and sound good.

I'm going off the assumption in this thread that these B 15's have similair tone goals/behavior as my 12's, just bigger.

13. Actualy you've been quite helpfull.
    You pretty much confirmed what I suspected.

And yes I did read the ancient thread(haha).
    I found it on google before, it's the only mention of these spearkers anywhere.

Any other coments are welcome.
    Thanks all

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Well, that's about all I got. Again, I'm assuming the 15's are a similair flavor as my 12's from the same line.

If you can find TB member " bgavin ", he has, or used to have, an Excell spreadsheet with all kinds of specs on a whole bunch of different speakers. I found my 12's in there, don't remember if he had anything on the 15's or not.

He just asks that you don't post direct links to it because it attracts spam to whatever computer that he has it on or something. Lot's of info though.

15. Id be interested to see the speadsheet if I can find 'bgavin'.
    Thanks man.

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Not seeing it in his profile anymore. The computer I had it on I'm pretty sure is one of my old ones that crashed or something. I should have it as an attachment in an old email from a few years back though. I think I sent it to somebody somewhere that was needing some specs they couldn't find. Let you know if I can manage to dig that up.;)

17. That be fine man thanks.
    Its only to satisfy my curiosity, so if ya cant find it dont sweat it.

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Heh, found it. If you wanna PM me an email address, I can send it to you.

19. Message sent;)