Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Query

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quizzo, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Quizzo

Quizzo

Aug 10, 2002
    Upstate SC
    I recently bought a carvin 6 string at a local guitart store. I don't know much about it since it was on consignment. it is a natural finish with gold hardware. a push pull knob a pickup selctor knob and three tone knobs. it is a neck through. the serial number is 57957and it is stamped in the 23 fret. can anyone tell me what exactly i bought?

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Carvin LB76. Which bridge? More recent models have the Hipshot roller-style, older ones have the Wilkenson. Sperzel locking tuners or not?
    I'm not sure how their system works with the SN & dates, looks like it might be a '95 or '97.

It's not a bad 6 string. Nice thin neck, eh?

Knobs are: Master vol (push/pull-active/passive eq), p'up blend.
    EQ: bass, treble, mid, in that order.

have fun with it! A good set of strings will really beef up the B string, if you're tuning it low. Did for me, anyway.

PS, check out Kevin's site to see Carvin's bass progress thru the years...
    http://www.carvinbassmuseum.com/

3. Nice basses.I had one a 95 LB 76 a couple of years ago and it was a great 6 string,very fun to play.I just never used the C string that much playing live so I sold it.Very good build quality though.

4. Quizzo

Quizzo

Aug 10, 2002
    Upstate SC
    yeah thanks guys i really do like it, so much that i might sell it or my thumb to get a fretless. now the real question is, did i get ripped off? i paid 700 for it. thanks

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What kind of neck, body and top woods does it have? Any inlays?

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    mine is a custom color with a FMT and optioned out (ie matchin flamed headstock) and mine is an older model... fretless....i think that is what i paid for mine..or close enough anyway.

7. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I have a fretless Carvin 6 string - ruby red quilt - so it cost quite a bit more. I wish I had gotten the fretted instead though as I'm struggling with its fretlessnesas even though I also have a Carvin 5 string fretless. Hopefully, my pic upload will work so you can see it.

8. I believe they added the mid EQ in the mid '90s. My LB75 only has a 2-band EQ with Sperzel tuners and a Wilkinson bridge. I believe they used the Sperzels until the mid '90s as well, but I could be wrong. I'm sure somebody on the Carvin message board could help you out.

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Beautiful Carvin. Are those tapwounds you have on the other Carvin?

10. Tell me more about that Ruby Red Carvin. What are all the options you ordered?

11. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Yes, I do use the tapewounds on my 5 string lined fretless Carvin. I love these strings except for when I'm playing outdoors in the sun - then they seemto get sticky. I've never tried any finger-ease or whatever t hat stuff is called, but something like that may help. THey definitely can give a deep sound similar to a string bass when you want them to.

For my 6 string, the options I have are:
    • Original style pickups (I forget the designation, but the newer style pickups had too much hum and didn't sound that much different to me and I did not try their other style pickup though).

Black harware

Unlined fretless

Matching headstock

Rounded body sides

And the obvious ruby red quilted maple

12. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this serial number. It is 56484 and I'm pretty sure its a LB75 but I have no clue about the year. I was wondering if anyone had a clue as to the relationship between dates and serial numbers yet.

13. www.carvin.com

My LB75F is one of the nicest basses I have ever played. I just wish they used better electronics to match the quality of their wood working. The tone just doesn't quite do what I want, but the neck is so easy to play that I let the tone pass.

But it is about to be retired...

14. Go to the Carvin Discussion Board on Carvin's website. Somebody there should be able to help you.:)

15. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    yeah, so-far we haven't got any confirmation how to read the SN code, in fact I vaguely recall someone mentioning that they might be random...

If you list the features though, we can usually get it nailed down.

16. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I have two words for you:

Bill Lawrence.

His J-45 pickups totally transformed my LB76.

Oh really? I might be interested in it.

17. Sorry, but not selling it- just moving it to backup status (2 new basses coming). :D

And I really hate using those stupid smilies, just can't hep mysef.

18. The reason that you haven't gotten a reply about the serial number is that nobody knows... not even Carvin.

What I mean is that there is no real clear numbering system that directly ties to a mfg date. However, Carvin should have it buried somewhere in a database. All you have to do is figure out how to get to the right person so they can look it up!

Good luck.

19. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Thanks a lot Jon. I looked around a lot of places and the answer always seems the same. No one really knows. I could never work at Carvin because I am so incredibly anal about organization and knowing how everything works together. Thanks for any help though.