Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Questions....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I have a Carvin Pro Bass 150 (read 150 watts) that I bought off of a buddy of mine. It has a 10" driver, effects pedal (worthless for the most part) and a vinyl cover and I paid $200 U.S (it's in new shape).. I can't figure out why they stopped making the PB 150 like mine and started making the PB 100. Guess they wanted to keep costs down??? I could probably do well and buy a single 15" Carvin cabinate to sit along side of my PB150 and drive that. Would that work or would I overload the amp too much by driving the 10" and the 15" at the same time(pardon my ignorance, I'm a noobie)?

Thanks!!!
    :D :D :D

2. Quadzilla

Anyone? A little help please :D

3. It should not be a problem. In fact it will take some of the load off of the 10". It will make your amp a hell of a lot louder too !

I am not sure about the older Carvin models, but if they are like the newer ones, you are safe down to 2 ohms.

Therefore, if you buy a 4 ohm 15" cab, you will be running at 2 ohms (if your 10" is also 4 ohms), or 2.67 ohms (if your 10" is 8 ohm). Either way, the amp should handle it.

4. Quadzilla

5. You are very welcome.

I do not remember the specifics, but I have read that doubling your speakers will have a greater increase in overall volume than doubling your watts!!

Since you are going from a 10" to a 15", you will be moving alot more air which equals alot more volume.

Good luck.

P.S. - Having the extension 15" cab puts you on the road to a new rig (eventually).

6. I'd double check to make sure the amp can handle 2 ohms. I don't believe the older ones can...

I could be wrong though.

7. Quadzilla

I don't have the original manual (and it's not on Carvin's site) but the back of the amp has 2 - 8 ohm outputs and says:
    total min imp - 4 ohm
    Output
    100 watts @ 8 ohm
    150 watts @ 4 ohm

Looks like I have to find a 15" cab the runs at 8 ohms somewhere. I know Carvin does not presently make one.... :( :( :(

8. Sorry for the misinformation.

I was just browsing on E-Bay and saw a PB150. As you stated it is only rated at 4 and 8 ohms.

If your 10" speaker is 8 ohm, at least you can try to find a 8 ohm 15" (I know Carvin does not offer 15's in 8 ohm).

What about a Carvin 4X10 ?

You can use just that cabinet for gigs (unplug the built in 10), and use the single 10 for at home practice.

9. Quadzilla

Good idea on the 4x10 provided my amp has enough balls to power it (again 100 watts @ 8 ohms and 150 watts @ 4 ohm). Ya think she's got enough in her to power a 4x10?
    Thanks!

10. Should be no problem.

My first amp was a Fender Bassman combo

50 Watts with 4x10. Ran an extension 15" off that.

11. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    The 10" speaker in your combo should be a PS10. They've been using those for a long time. That's what's in my V410T that I bought in about 1990 or '91. The PS10 is an 8-ohm speaker. I don't remember them ever having a 4-ohm version of that. It should be written on the back of the speaker (the actual speaker magnet, not the cabinet it's in), the model and the impedence.

12. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  13. Quadzilla

Thanks to all who have assisted!! I prob will go w the SWR's (thanks Slater!).
    :p :p :p