Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin r-600 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alla, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Alla

Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Italy
    Hello
    I've seen on an old Bass Player this amp. Someone has it? Or someone has tried it? What do you think about it? I've a Warwick ccl 250 combo with a 15 woofer and a tweeter. Do you think I should change it with the Carvin? I like the idea of a woofer, the two middle 8 and the tweeter.
    Thx

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I have tried it, and I wasn't too keen on this combo. It sounded decent, but I think they are trying to squeeze too much into one unit.

For one, 8's just don't get it done for a job that most people would use 10's for. Also, the 15" driver in this combo is not their cast frame 15. It's power handling capabilites are lower, and I would be wary of driving the whole combo too hard.

The R600 is a nice head though. I would suggest spending a little more for an R1000 though, lots more power for just $80. An R1000 with a 2x10 or 4x10 over a 15 or 18 would be worth the extra dough over the combo IMO.

Better yet, pair the R1000 with some good cabs from another manufacturer, and you would have a nice sounding rig. Carvin's bass cab drivers are ok, but they leave some things to be desired.

3. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Seamus is right on. As an owner of the R600 "cyclops". I wish I had more power and the cab really doesn't cut it. For a few more bucks you can get the R1000. Then find some decent cabs to go with it.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I like a lot of Carvin's stuff, but the Cyclops didn't do it for me. I don't think the 8s were the problem, but it just didn't have the oomph I wanted, nor did it compensate with anything else remarkable. You'd think splitting the signal 3 ways would allow the 15 to reproduce the lows quite well, but it really didn't, to my ears.

I've made this recommendation before, but I'll say it again: A Carvin R1000 into an Eden D410XLT (or maybe the new XST, I haven't tried those) would IMO be a great all-purpose rig. Nothing against Aguilar, Epifani, Bergantino and the like, I just don't know 'em as well as I do the Eden. Some people swear by SWR and even Peavey. (Ampeg and especially Hartke cabs leave me utterly cold, personally.)

5. jplb70

jplb70

Nov 1, 2001
    I just got done puttin together a new stage rig for myself. It's a R1000 biamped into an Eden D-410T and a D-215XL and I must say I'm VERY pleased with it. VERY loud and punchy and some great low end to boot.

6. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i havent got the cyclops combo, but the RC210 is right next to me right now. Ill say the head is great, very versatile... but the cab it came with doesnt do it justice. however as i said in another recent tread.... an eden D410xlt paired with my R600 was orgasmic. id agree on the extra 80 bucks to get the 1000 watter.

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I bought the RC210 combo a year and a half ago, and it was ok. But it didn't have the volume or low end I was looking for. So I bought an Eden D410-XLT and power it with the R600 head and I am very satisfied.