Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin R1000 and 8x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Aug 26, 2003.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Has anyone tried the Carvin R1000 or the Carvin 8x10? They both caught my eyes and the price for both of them sounds tempting. How would you rank it up against a GK?

~Patrick

2. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    *ahem*, I think I'm qualified to speak my piece....

I bought the RL1000/8x10 package a year and a half ago. The head I always thought sounded great, with good eq options. UNTIL half the power amp section went out on me last month.... hmm.. The cab, well frankly,,, the cab is just too big for me. I bought an Avatar 410 and I'm quite happy with that (altho a bit more bottom end would be nice). The carvin cab sounds fine tho,, I'm not exactly an audiophile,, but I had a guy play an MTD 535 thru it during a live show,, and He sounded great. Actually,, see my sig (cough) :D .

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Great head - even at a higher price point.

Woefully inefficient speakers that fart out with ease.

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Get in there and look for cold solder joints, busted or fried resistor, etc. Mine did the same type of thing in the power section... nasty distortion through the power stages and a significant loss of volume when bridged... It was a burnt ceramic resistor that cost all of .50 to replace!

Mind you, this was after nearly 5 years of constant gigging, practicing, and just general abuse... the only other internal problems I've had with the head, (I'm not counting my pre-wireless days of breaking input jacks by stepping on the cord :eek: )have been solved by a thorough cleaning with contact cleaner, (now part of a regular maintenance schedule with me...)...

IMO, the Carvin gear stands up to regular gigging. Good useable tone, great value for the bucks... I'm less high on the cabs... I feel that they're a good value while others seem to like some of the newer players in the budget gear department for cabs... I've never tried Avatar or any others... My Carvin 2X10 was well built and useable until I moved away from 10's...

-robert