Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin R1000 Settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 98dvl, Feb 21, 2002.

1. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    Well, after much debate and a bit of shopping around, I went ahead and ordered a Carvin RL1015 stack yesterday. It should be here in about a week.

Until then, I was curious as to how everyone has their amp set up. I know all bass/amp combos are probably going to be a bit different.... But, I'd like to know how some of you all have yours set up so I can start playing right away once I get mine!!! I hear that the trickiest part to getting the rig to sound right is setting it up right... So, post your info!

Man, I can't wait til this rig arrives.

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I leave the EQ flat, except I like boosting the mids around 300-350. Most of my basses have a round, solid low end, so I don't boost the lows on the amp.

I keep the compressor threshold up, but I keep the ratio only around 9 o'clock. I don't use the noise gate. I also don't use the graphic EQ much, but you may want to use it at higher volumes.

On the blend knob, I like it turned fully counter-clockwise (SS). I run a SABDDI in front of the amp, so there's additional roundness and thump that comes from that box. That is part of the reason why I hardly touch the EQ on the Redline.

I always run these amps bridged (full range), so I don't have much use for the crossover either. When you biamp though, that will come into play.
    The low and mid pre-shape filters can be useful, depends on where you need the emphasis. Hit the low pre-shape for more low end. Push the mid-shift button in for a very noticeable change in the mids.

Other than that, I don't do a whole lot with this amp. Everything really lies in how you handle the mids as far as I can tell. Everything else is just a slight boost here or there for the highs or lows. I don't think you'll need to boost the highs really though, as the high end response from this amp sparkles as it is.

Enjoy! :)

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I run mine flat w/ all 3 preshapes engaged.
    No compression, no NG. Usually full-range (not bridged), though ocassionally bi-amped.

4. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Depends on the day and the situation . . .

I almost always have the low end preshape boost engaged. Near the end of string life I'll usually start playing with the mid shift and high end boost. I never use the eq because it seems to add some extra noise and I can get enough eq out of the preshapes/knob section (note the specific meaning of knob there . . .)

My carvin R1000 head has given me some great sounds, you'll enjoy yours.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    When I had one, I ran it nearly flat. No graphic, midboost pushed in (but the others left alone), bass at maybe 1:00, mid flat, treble flat or (depending on the room) 1:00. But a lot will depend on your cab. Mine is an Acme, which is very flat and goes deep. Cabs can vary wildly in sound, and you may well have to use a bit more EQ to get the sound you want.

6. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    Thanks for all the replys so far!

I just found out everything will be here on Monday.

Of course, I have class right after work that night!!! Ughhh.... I won't even get to play with it all until Tuesday!!!

Oh well, at least I'll know how to set it all up before then.