Carvin R1000 Settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 98dvl, Feb 21, 2002.

1. 98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    Well, after much debate and a bit of shopping around, I went ahead and ordered a Carvin RL1015 stack yesterday. It should be here in about a week.

Until then, I was curious as to how everyone has their amp set up. I know all bass/amp combos are probably going to be a bit different.... But, I'd like to know how some of you all have yours set up so I can start playing right away once I get mine!!! I hear that the trickiest part to getting the rig to sound right is setting it up right... So, post your info!

Man, I can't wait til this rig arrives.
  2. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I leave the EQ flat, except I like boosting the mids around 300-350. Most of my basses have a round, solid low end, so I don't boost the lows on the amp.

I keep the compressor threshold up, but I keep the ratio only around 9 o'clock. I don't use the noise gate. I also don't use the graphic EQ much, but you may want to use it at higher volumes.

On the blend knob, I like it turned fully counter-clockwise (SS). I run a SABDDI in front of the amp, so there's additional roundness and thump that comes from that box. That is part of the reason why I hardly touch the EQ on the Redline.

I always run these amps bridged (full range), so I don't have much use for the crossover either. When you biamp though, that will come into play.
    The low and mid pre-shape filters can be useful, depends on where you need the emphasis. Hit the low pre-shape for more low end. Push the mid-shift button in for a very noticeable change in the mids.

Other than that, I don't do a whole lot with this amp. Everything really lies in how you handle the mids as far as I can tell. Everything else is just a slight boost here or there for the highs or lows. I don't think you'll need to boost the highs really though, as the high end response from this amp sparkles as it is.

Enjoy! :)
  3. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I run mine flat w/ all 3 preshapes engaged.
    No compression, no NG. Usually full-range (not bridged), though ocassionally bi-amped.
  4. farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Depends on the day and the situation . . .

I almost always have the low end preshape boost engaged. Near the end of string life I'll usually start playing with the mid shift and high end boost. I never use the eq because it seems to add some extra noise and I can get enough eq out of the preshapes/knob section (note the specific meaning of knob there . . .)

My carvin R1000 head has given me some great sounds, you'll enjoy yours.
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    When I had one, I ran it nearly flat. No graphic, midboost pushed in (but the others left alone), bass at maybe 1:00, mid flat, treble flat or (depending on the room) 1:00. But a lot will depend on your cab. Mine is an Acme, which is very flat and goes deep. Cabs can vary wildly in sound, and you may well have to use a bit more EQ to get the sound you want.
  6. 98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    Thanks for all the replys so far!

I just found out everything will be here on Monday.

Of course, I have class right after work that night!!! Ughhh.... I won't even get to play with it all until Tuesday!!!

Oh well, at least I'll know how to set it all up before then.