carvin r1000, should i??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ErikKrueger, May 12, 2003.

1. im thinking about selling my gk1001rb head for this head , i havent tested it yet, and i my local GC doesn't carry carvin gear, so i wonder if some people can give me some reviews. the reason i am looking to sell my gk is because i want to have a head that can do 2 through 8 ohms, i really want to add a 15 or and 18 to my 6x10 (now a 5x10 for a little while though) so i can have more beefiness. but yeah, i need 2 ohms and a head that can power an 18 really well. thank you for your help.
  2. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    i would have to say that its ultimatly up to your taste and preferred liking.

i own this head and can say that it is extremly versatile and powerful. i use it for my carvi 1x15, and it doesnt een hesitate when my 15 goes out, at practice i use both my 15 and the drummers ampeg 8x10 and it absoulutley murders his svt head. the carvin delivers the same power on one channel as the ampeg in full range. (350 4 ohm)

as for your situation i would say that it would work perfectly.

you can check out the specs at their website or askme any questions and i will be happy to answer them.

also, try to buy used. its way cheaper and you wont feel ripped off if you decide you dont like it, and you can sell it for what you got it for so you shouldnt be in the hole that much.

but i doubt you wont lik.
  3. do you know anywhere i can get a newer series three r1000 used, i need to speakon option.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Wow, no way I'd ever recommend ditching a GK 1001RB for a Carvin anything. You might get your 2 ohm ability, but I doubt you'll be satisfied with the tone after getting used to the GK.

Just one man's opinion . . .
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Not sure what you mean about 2 ohms. At the risk of belaboring the obvious, just in case you might be thinking you can bridge the R1000 into a 2 ohm load, you can't. (Nor can you with any other bass head I know of.) The amp will go down to 2 ohms *per side*, or 4 ohms bridged.

As for the amps themselves, I've played both, and I like the Carvin better.

For used stuff, just look in the usual places, such as the Bass Gear for Sale section of this very forum. You could also try the classifieds at Harmony Central,
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Funny how tastes differ. When I used to play out of town more, I almost always ended up playing through rented G-Ks, because it wasn't practical to bring my own stuff and the venues could always be certain of getting their hands on G-K. I hated that, 'cause I didn't like the G-K sound that much to start with and probably got less fond of it with closer acquaintance. I always breathed a sigh of relief when I got home and could plug into my Carvin again!

Once again, mileage varies.
  7. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I never tried a GK, but I know that I love my Carvin r1000. It's very versatile, powerfull, and has lots of EQ options to suit any venue.
  8. How do you intend to run 2 ohms?
  9. farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I definitely like mine, and there's one for sale on TB right now . . .
  10. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    another vote for the carvin over GK. I've owned both brands but not the exact model.
  11. i intend to run the 2 ohm load per side, i just need more power and whatnot.
  12. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I don't know how you could consider Gallien Krueger to have a better tone,, it's all a matter of opinion. Personally I find my R1000 to be quite a complete animal,, from razor slap sounds to growly fingerstyle. It's got quite a good EQ section, along with a "tube" gain control and a small compressor.

BTW Richard,, I'm getting killer tones out of your old fretless,, bridge pickup ran passive,, some gain and mid boost on the amp. It's working great and I can actually play it now!
  13. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Check ebay for used ones. I got a series 3 r600 there.
  14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Hey Chris, glad to hear it's working out for you. Yes, there are some fine tones in that LB76F. I was reminded of that again because I just went to the premiere of this indie movie whose soundtrack I played on. I used that LB76F a lot on it, and it sure sounded great to me as I sat in the theater. I'm just hoping the Shuker I have on order suits me even better ....