Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvin r1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cobrasneverdie, Jun 17, 2003.

1. i am in need for a decently priced head and came across the r1000.

"R1000 Power: 2ohms: 500/500w, 4ohms: 350/350w, 8ohms: 225/225w Bridged: 4ohms: 1000w, 8ohms: 700w"

is it possible to connect 3 cabs to get get 2 ohms? like 2 8ohm cabs and 1 4ohm cab to get 2ohms? is it safe to run a 2.6x ohm load on this?
    and would 4ohm bridged or using the seprate 2ohm power amps to do this (run 2 4ohm cabs to each side)

i used the search feature but couldn't find much. thanks for your help in advance.

2. bump

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sure, you can connect three cabs to get 4 ohms, as long as the arithmetic adds up right. Just be aware that the 4 ohm cab will get more juice than either of the 8 ohm cabs.
    No, there's no problem with a 2.67 ohm load on one or both sides of the amp. If it can handle 2 ohms, it can handle 2.67.
    If you want to go bridged into 4 ohms, you can only use two 8 ohm cabs or one 4 ohm, not all three together and not one 8 ohm with one 4 ohm. (You could also use four 16 ohm cabs, but what bassist does that?)

As for whether it's better to run 4 ohms bridged or 2 ohms a side full range, that's your call. They're electronically equivalent, and the power output is the same. The big difference is the number and type of cabs you can hook up. If you go stereo (dual mono) full range, you can hook up two 4 ohm cabs on *each* side. Bridged, as I said, you can only use one 4 ohm cab *total* or two 8 ohms.

4. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    to hook up three cabs i would put the 4 ohm cab on one side and the two 8 ohm cabs on the other.

i use this amp bridged through an ampeg 8x10, and it is louder than ill ever need.

carvin also insists that the amp will not bridge lower than 4 ohm, if you try it will shut itself off.