Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin R600 Avatar 2x10 + 2x12 rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Sep 26, 2004.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Hey, i have a 4 ohm avatar 2x10.
    im looking at getting the Carvin R600....good? bad? anyone that can tell me stuff about it would help a lot.

if you have it, what do you run it with?

i would want to get the avatar 2x12 or 1x15 to run under my 2x10 and run each side seperate so 4 each each side.

does that sound good to you guys??

would it be better to get the 12's or 15? i know the 12's move more air, but the 15 has the lows we all want.

>hanus<

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I'd pay the extra few bucks and get the r1000...

I played the R1000 through an ampeg SVT 8x10... liek omg. s3x0rz!

They are good heads.... nice and fat.

3. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    my guitar center has one, im not sure how much its for, but for sure im going to check it out tomorrow.

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'm generally a fan of Carvin gear, but one thing I take issue with is their publishing and "naming" of their power amps under a 2 ohms load, which needless to say isn't done much. :eyebrow: It's "power inflation" and it's a flaw on an otherwise positive name in the industry.

For example, running an RB600 in stereo @ 4 ohms per side will actually only give you 250 watts per side, not all that much these days. If you're settled on Carvin, I thing the $80 upcharge to the RB1000 is worth the extra wattage, and even that's only an extra 100 watts per side.

Perhaps a better idea for a minimal cost increase would be to get a decent preamp (RBI, BMax to name just two) and save your money on a Carvin power amp, which I believe is a significantly better watt-per-dollar %.

As for cabinets, I think 12" speakers have a great combination of punch/low end, especially when you consider a 2x12" actually has more speaker area than a single 15". But that's purely my subjective opinion, as I'm not generally a fan of the traditional "deep 15" tone - if possible, play some physically and see what "speaks to you".

Good luck!