Carvin R600 Owners-Any problems with it??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David Vega, Aug 28, 2002.

1. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Please provide feedback on this bass ampe head. I hear that it will go to the tech shop for repair most of the time. No road type amp.

Any feedbacks please!!
  2. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Mine went to the Shop (Carvin in CA when I live in NC) 3 times. The first one was dead with a grounding problem 1 week after owning. The 2nd went twice with a bad poweramp module.
    Some people have had good experiences with them, but after the 3rd time, I was disgusted with them and sold it and bought SWR instead and am much happier. YMMV.

3. VinnyP666

Aug 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    wow, I was just about to ask the same question...until I saw yours. I am also considering that amp to add to my avatar 4x10 and 115. It has many good features, but I also hear that they are not very reliable.

I am just as puzzled as you are. Anyone kno a better amp that is reliable for about the same price?

4. djk

Aug 28, 2002
    Try the Peavey Firebass.. 475 watts @ 4 ohms, Direct out, 4 band eq, etc., etc., They're about $650 USD new. Like most Peavey gear, super reliable but not the greatest tone.
  5. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've played an R600 for four years with zero reliability problems... Plenty of gigging, practice, and jam situations... Bridged, bi-amped, and full range into a plethora of different cabs and combinations. Enough EQ for almost any situation, and I have never been stumped for a good sound... I've not found the noise gate to be terribly useful, but that may just be me.

As KB has proven, there can be problems... That is most assuredly true with any make/model of amp or bass out there... For me, the Carvin has been very reliable...

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Both of my Carvin R heads are Series II (have a tube in the preamp and don't have SMT or Twist-Loks). Both have as many road miles on them in the back of Ryder rental trucks and more load-ins/outs than I can count. Neither has ever let me down. They're just workhorses.

SWR, Ampeg, GK, Hartke, you name it, I don't know of a popularly priced brand that doesn't have its share of lemons. Hell, a friend of mine uses his QSC PLX just to play in church and it recently melted.

I know from others' experiences that Carvin backs up their R heads all the way as long as the owner didn't do something totally stupid to them.
  7. farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    My RL1000 series 2 was good for 2 and a half years, but blew up on me at practice the other day. We'll see how the repair experience is. I wouldn't call them unreliable, but I no longer can claim no problems with either.
  8. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Carvin R600 Series II here as well. Got it used and haven't had any problems with it. It doesn't seem like a "loud" head because there's not a huge amount of gain in the power stage (something many people confuse with power), but boost some EQ and the power is there.