Carvin R600 owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dirty Dave, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I am interested in purchasing this amp and have read through most of the past TB threads about it. However, I still have some questions for those that have experience using it:

1. Do you find the R600 to be loud enough?

2. What mode did you have it set-up for (bi-amp, full range, bridge)?

3. What cabs did you use it with?

Seems like a lot of people claim it is underpowered or unreliable but I can't help but wonder if many of them are not using the amp properly according to the manual. I plan to use it full range (un-bridged) for 250w/side with Carvins RL115/210 4 ohm cabs.

Also, I've seen a lot of recommendations to go with the R1000 instead for just a few bucks more. That is generally good advice and the extra money is not a problem so I may do just that, but I'm just wondering if it's really necessary considering I can't turn my current 300W Hartke past 3 at band practice.

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer.
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I'll summon 7 string mad-man and R600 owner Eli to add his comments...
  3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Why, thank you, BillyB.

Dave, if I were in your shoes getting two cabs right off the bat, I'd get the R1000. I always run my R600 in bridged mode, so I get 500 watts into my lone 8-ohm 115 cab. I had decided back then never to lug two cabs, so that made the most sense. But having committed to two cabs as you have, I think you want to have the full 500 watts available at the all-important subwoofer for the small ($80?) addition. And on sale for $599? No question. You might also consider ebay... there are always a few 600's and an occasional 1000 up there.

There is some debate about whether a single spk powered with 500 watts is as loud as two spks powered with 250 watts each... all arguments I've heard were based on conjecture and none on hard evidence.

I recently bought an 800W 4-ohm RL118 (used, found for me by BillyB himself) and a DCM1000 (ebay) for my "big room" low end; you can avoid this expense now for a measly 80 bucks. Do it!

To answer the other question, the R600 does seem to be loud enough for any situation I've been in, but when I started running the kick mic through my rig, I decided to add a cab.
  4. billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    that's good advice from eli. but I've been using an rc210 (r600) with an additional trace 115 bi-amped with good results, playing southern rock and country. the only problems have been outdoor gigs, where it's under powered.
  5. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for the quick responses guys. Very helpful.

Oh...and billbern, have you considered trying full-range mode for the outdoor gigs to get higher volume?
  6. I used the R600 with 210 and 15 cabinet for about three years. I ran it full range most of the time because both cabinets were full range cabinets. It sounded OK but I never could get the sound I wanted out of it. Sometimes an amp can have just too many bells and whistles and you find yourself tweeking knobs all night long. I gave up on the pre- amp part and plugged a Sansamp RBI in the return jack so all I was using was the two amps and EQ. Major improvement on the sound. Still not quite the sound I was hearing in my head.
    The r600 2-10 1-15 is now my spare gear. My rig now is, Sansamp RBI, QSC 2402 and Schroeder 21012 cabinet. Finally after 37 years of playing bass I have the sound I've been looking for!!!!!
  7. billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    dirty dave,
    as you know it's bikeotberfest here. since we're doing lots of outdoor gigs, I've added an Avatar 410 and Behringer power amp to the Rc210, lots of headroom now.