Carvin R600 Question - Graphic EQ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snaggyjake, Feb 21, 2006.

1. snaggyjake

Feb 21, 2006
    Hey, Does anyone have any advice on how to set my EQ for this amp? There is a lot of power from the amp but i cannot get a satisfactory sound from it. I can only get a very bassy sound from it so each note i hit isn't very clear at all. Thanks!
  2. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    First, what bass and cabinet(s) are you using? These will make a difference as to how you should set the EQ. Second, are you running full range, bi-amped or bridged mono? These factors will also help determine the usefulness of any advice you will receive. I own an R600 and when I set it up, I start at the left side and work my way right. Start by setting all controls Flat and leave the Compressor and Noise Gate off. Also, set the X-Over control to 800hz. Set your Gain and Blend controls so you're not clipping. Next, select any of the Pre-Shape controls. Try using combinations of these, as well as leaving them all off. Then adjust the Bass, Parametric Mid and Treble controls. The parametric mid control is crucial. Experiment a lot with the Gain and Frequency knobs as there is a lot of difference between settings. Next, fine tune your settings with the Graphic EQ. Make small adjustments and remember that cutting some frequencies can be more effective than boosting others. Then balance the Amp 1 and Amp 2 controls, set the Master Volume to your liking and give it a shot. After playing for a while, adjust the Noise Gate and Compressor controls, and make small adjustments to anything else that doesn't seem quite right. The bottom line is that you will have to experiment to get the tones you like. The R600 isn't a "plug and play" amp, but if you take your time, it can be a killer rig. Good luck.
  3. snaggyjake

Feb 21, 2006
    Hey. Thanks very much. I will try what you've suggested! I'm using a fender precision at the mo and running the amp through a behringer 1200watt cab (it's the only thing i can get my hands on at the mo.) Are there any cabs you recommend?
  4. snaggyjake

Feb 21, 2006
    Also, what does Bridge mean? If the cab is 4 ohms, should i be going in to the head on 4ohms with the bridge button in or out? Cheers!
  5. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    With a 1200 watt cab, go ahead and bridge the amp (button in). Be sure that the speaker cable coming out of the amp is plugged into one of the bridged output jacks. (Be sure you're using a speaker cable and not an instrument cable!)

In front, be sure that the bi-amp/full range button (next to the cross-over knob) is pushed in for full range.

Make sure you're getting good sound with all EQ flat and moderate volume. Then, if you still need to, you can begin to dial out the low frequencies.

I wasn't sure if you have the manual, so there it is.

Good luck!

6. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    He is right about the bridging info, you should try it. It seems to me as though your bass and cabinet will produce a lot of low end. Try cutting the lows a little and boosting the hi-mids. Most importantly, have fun finding your sound. Some people seem to forget that bass is supposed to be enjoyable, not another source of stress. One more thing.....welcome to TB.:bassist:
  7. snaggyjake

Feb 21, 2006
    Cheers very much guys! I'll have a go at all that tomorrow when i get to practise. Hopefully i can get the sound i want from it.
  8. Paulb7664

Sep 30, 2004
    Kent UK
    Hi I use the R600 2x10 combo and a Carvin 1x15 set in full range with my Warwick streamer LX and find it hard to get a good tone from it! ( It seems to be very boom like) I would like to get a good tight rock sound. If you can help or post your amp settings etc that would be of grate help to me.

9. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Try cutting the lows a little and boosting the high-mids. Also, make sure the "Bass Pre-Shape" button is out. The "Mid-Shift Pre-Shape" button will also help to tighten up your tone. There are tons of controls on that head, so take your time and experiment. You should be able to get almost any tone you could want from that rig. Good luck.
  10. billparks

Feb 3, 2006
    I have the R600 inside an RC210 Red Eye and the Carvin 18 cab running biamped and it is an awesome rig... Never mind the price which makes it even better...

I would suggest a Carvin 2-10" or 4-10" cab with a Carvin 18" cab - just my preference. It makes my Thumb Growl w/authority.
  11. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    To all those afflicted with boom!

IMO, there are very few rules when it comes to equipment, set up, tone etc. But when playing live, this is pretty much a fact.

All IMHO and IME etc etc. :)
  12. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    To snaggy jake --

sounds like it's possible you may have the biamp button pushed in and the speaker cable plugged into the low output. Make sure the BIAMP/FULL RANGE button is set to FULL RANGE.

-- eli