Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin R600 questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Albino_Ryno, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    For Christmas I got a R600 carvin head with the carvin 2x10 and a 1x15. I was wondering how I can get the maximum output from the amp without blowing the 2x10. So far I haven't pushed the amp over about 5 and I still have alot of compression on but occasionally when I'm slapping the amp will cut off. In the manual it says that the amp will cut off if it's in danger of blowing one of the speaker cabitnets. The 2x10 has a handling capacity of 400w and the 1x15 has a handling capacity of 600w. I figured that since the head was 600w and I was playing briged at half volume with compression I wouldn't be anywhere near blowing the speakers. I usually just play on about 3 when I jam at home but if I ever wanted to do a small live gig I would want to be able to crank it a little higher without worrying about it cutting off. If anyone has any suggestions or similar problems let me know.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The R600 really is more head than the Cyclops is cabinet, isn't it? Nice problem to have.

The "amp cutting off" that is in the manual is talking about the amp going into "protect" mode where it completely shuts down before we blow it up and you have to turn the rocker switch off and on once again for it restart, (like doing a hard boot on your PC).

How is your gain set? The R series heads CAN'T be run with everything dimed.

Are you using an effects box/rack or stomp box? If the effects output is set too low, the amp can read that as too little/no signal if you're going through the loop.

Answers to those questions will help out the future posters to your question which you will most likely get. Carvins are pretty popular in this neighborhood

[Edited by rickbass1 on 02-12-2001 at 03:56 PM]

3. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Your post raises some issues. You mention running bridged into both cabinets. From what I can tell, you are running two 4-ohm cabinets in parallel - or a 2-ohm combined load. The amp is NOT designed for that. You may run 2-ohm loads from either channel (not bridged), or a separate 4-ohm speaker off of each channel. If you are running both bridged, there is no doubt in my mind that the amplifier's protective circuitry is kicking in (and shutting it down) due to overcurrent and/or overheating. In other words, you are lucky the amp saved itself (so far!).

Now, I may be misunderstanding what you've done, so maybe you can clarify your exact wiring and amp settings. The amp is not designed to (as you said) "cut off if it's in danger of blowing one of the speaker cabinets." It is only designed to protect itself against overcurrents, overtemperatures, shorts, and opens.

So - make sure you are particularly careful about what you hook up when you run in bridged mode.

- Mike

4. rickbass

MikeyD- What about the volume dips when the amp isn't bridged? I've seen complaints about that and the Carvin moderator could only suggest contacting tech support.

I trust you more than they.

5. I'm not sure why you would want to bridge the 2-10"s and the 15 anyway, but thats just me. Check to see if you have your speaker jacks in the bridge only jacks on the back panel. You must have some great neighbors if you practice at home on three. I have the Cyclops and I cant stand to stay in the room if I get much over one. Hope you get your sound problem solved. There are some pretty sharp guys in here that I'm sure will know how to solve your problem. Good luck!!

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I'm not being a smart guy, but one thing people have done wrong with this head in the past is to hook the low freq output to the high freq speaker and vice versa. That's one thing that would make it clip around only 5 volume because the low output overwhelms the high or mid-range drivers. Since you are running bridged, that's probably not your problem, but I thought I would mention it anyway.

What is MORE likely is what Mikey D said. If you are bridged into (2) 4 ohm cabs, I think it's going into protect mode because you are below the nominal impedance. I believe you must be at a minumum 4 ohms per speaker, post bridge, not before.

The other thing he said is correct too. You could run straight to the two 4 ohm cabs, but when you bridge them, the nominal impedance drops below spec and the cabs are getting too much juice.

This head can sound *really* nice if it is running within specs. It has some effective EQ options and I have really dug the sound so far.

Good luck!

7. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Thanks, man! Honestly, I haven't heard anything about "volume dips". Care to enlighten me? What does it sound like? When does it happen? How is the amp rig set up? I could probably only guess, though I do have a circuit diagram for the amp that I could look at.

Regarding the other posts in this thread, I would NEVER consider running the bridged output into two 4-ohm cabinets in parallel (total impedance: 2-ohms). This is the same as running either stereo (unbridged) channel into a 1-ohm load! Some amplifiers (not many audio ones, though) are designed for this kind of load, but not Carvin's, nor many others. I suspect this is one of the major causes of problems I've read people having with Carvin gear: they are not being careful about speaker loads. I can't tell yet if this is the problem that Albino_Ryno was having. If Ryno tells us how it was wired, we could rule it out or pinpoint the problem.

- Mike

8. rickbass

Mike - Maybe Albino read it right but some people look at the R specs and don't read them carefully. The spec's for either the 600 or 1000 mention power at 2 ohms, BUT, they don't notice that they are followed by "Bridged" spec's which make no mention of 2 ohm power ratings, implying, "Don't Do That, Professor Tesla!"

As for the volume clipping deal, I'll mess with my settings after I get some zzz's this morning and see where it happens. Then I'll get back to you and give you the specific o'clocks for each knob.

jbplayer- "must have nice neighbors" :D Must have DEAF, I SAID DEAF, neighbors, (or live in Wyoming). I have the RL1018 so I bought the Cyclops as a home practice amp while the 1018 stayed at whichever club or hall. Duh....what was I thinking?

My house was built in the 1930's and I just had the Netco Remodeling guy here yesterday to give an estimate on putting in new sheet rock in the rooms above the room where the Cyclops is. And I rarely go past three on the master volume.

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I am wondering if this is a problem that needs to be fixed at all. Maybe you should tri biamping... send teh highs to your 10s... lows to your 15... and see if your problem goes away.

That amp has plenty of juice... no need to bridge. You will have better control of your sound if you biamp.

Regarding volume dips... you talking about volume dips at certain freqs or in certain locations away from the amp?

Regarding freqs... I seem to find that if I set the EQ lows at 6, mids around 0 and highs around 2 it seems to even out the volume pretty well.

Regarding locations... don't know! Never used it live. Just for recording so far. :)

10. rickbass

-I got mine to do it today, just like the Carvin board mentioned. If I played with the noise gate on at all and played something with even very short pauses or short rests, the volume on the first notes after the pauses/rests started out very low and then increased dramatically. If you graphed the volume rise, it wouldn't be a vertical, but more like a 45 degree angle. Every couple of bars, I'm thinking...Where's the volume going?

11. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    So, the "volume dips" occur while using the noise gate? This doesn't surprise me at all. I tried the noise gate on that amp for about 4.3 minutes, didn't like it at all, and have never used it since. The noise gate on the Redline series is probably too simplistic for anything but the loudest, one-dynamic sort of music. If you like to play dynamically and expressively (going from loud to soft, etc.) that noise gate doesn't cut it, as far as I'm concerned. My recommendation: turn it off and forget it's there. If you really need a noise gate, buy a good, sophisticated aftermarket one. Good noise gating is not a simple matter technically. I believe it is a complex process that requires rather involved circuitry and/or algorithms. (It might be better, though, to find the source of the noise and eliminate it, though).

- Mike

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I agree with MikeyD on the noise gate. I don't see why Carvin even bothers with it. They should either make a good noise gate that is on par with all of the other components of the amp or just not include it at all.

13. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    After I posted my question I went home and looked at the back of my amp to make sure I had everything hooked up right. I've got my 2x10's running the highs and mids and my 15 running the lows (duh!) and I do have the speakers in the 2 ohm outputs but when I try to put them into the 4ohm outputs and set the amp up like the booklet says to I don't get any sound at all from the speakers, not even a hiss or anything. I messed around with it for about an hour, untill frustration set in. I'm going to go home and mess with it again this afternoon, If anyone has the booklet to the r600 head with them (I don't have it with me now) read the bottom section of how to bridge the speakers correctly. I've done everything like it says and It's not working.

About the issue of the deaf neighbors...I live in the country as you might call it and the closest neighbors live about a mile down the road. They still say they can hear me and my dad jam at night every now and then though, so far we've had only compliments on our playing and no complaints (even had a few requests). Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

14. rickbass

Albino - You might try the "Technical Questions" section of the Carvin discussion board. One of the moderators will usually give you an answer, albeit, not a quick answer. I think those guys have "real" jobs at Carvin and only ride herd over the board when they have time.

MikeyD and Phat- Yeah, I almost never use the gate either. I've seen posters at the Carvin board that say it's useless, too.

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Manual says you get your full 600 watts in a 4 ohm bridged mono load. IT SAYS NOTHING ABOUT A 2 OHM LOAD FOR BRIDGED. So if you are using 2 4 ohm cabs in parallel... you are burning up your amp.

Manual says that you can biamp down to 2 ohms.

16. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Yeah, leave the noise gate off, it's pretty lame as far as NS goes.

I would second the suggestion to just bi-amp instead of trying to run bridged at all. Still, it sounds like you said you tried that and got no sound. Don't know what to tell ya there.

Hope you get it squared away. Give Carvin dudes a call. It's hit or miss, you could get someone helpful or someone lazy, but they seem helpful most of the time.

There's a fellow there named Jack who is pretty helpful, try him, he's a salesman. Hit #5 when the menu options come up and ask for him.