Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin R600 vs. Peavey Firebass 700

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, Jul 6, 2001.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I haven't had a chance to play either of these amps, but I just wonder what the opinion of others who have had experience with both of these amps is. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Dirk

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I can't help you with the Carvin, but I can tell you that the Firebass is one helluva amp. Plenty of power, and great tone to match. I ran mine through an 810tx cab and loved it. But, I got stupid and sold it, so now I am gonna buy another one.

Ryan

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    The Carvin R600 is a cool amp head. It has lots of tone shaping ability. I have owned two and been very happy with both.

Currently I run the R600 through a 2x10 and a 1x18. It gives me plenty of power... but more importantly to me: It sounds very clean and natural.

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Hey Gabu... My how you've changed. I see the hormone treatments are having an effect !! :D !!

I also own an R600, (actually an RC210, but the head is pulling solitary duty outside of the combo for now...), and like Gabu mentioned above, plenty of power and tone shaping ability.

Likewise, the FireBass is an excellent amp, and I came that close, (finger and thumb an inch apart), to picking one up used last weekend. Perfect timing for this thread!! I didn't compare the price to a new one, so can't really help with a 'bang for buck' comparison, but soundwise I preferred the Carvin. Admittedly, this could be due to the fact that I've had the Carvin for 2 1/2 years and only played through the Peavey for about 1/2 hour. Given more time, I am pretty sure I coulda come up with a very satisfactory tone.

I think you could do worse for the money than either of these amps...

-robert

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I have a Peavey Firebass II 700 head, going through a Peavey 410TXF, and 115BXBW. I really like the sounds I can pull out of it.

I've had experience with a lot of other heads, cabs, and combos too...

It's just my opinion though.

6. Can't speak for the Carvin as far as sound, quality, etc., goes. Read a lot of nice things about them. But I do own a Firebass II. It is one fine amplifier. Depending upon just what you want to do with it, it's power characteristics are slightly different from the Carvin.

The Firebass puts out 700W into 2 ohms, 475W into 4 ohms, and 275W into 8 ohms. It is a single channel amp. The Carvin puts out 600W (bridged) into 4 ohms. Its 2 ohm rating is 300W for each of the 2 channels. Is one better than the other. Yes and no. It simply depends on your application.

I run two 200W/8 ohm cabinets and one 400W/4 ohm cabinet when I want to put out the full power capability of the Firebass. With my speakers, the Carvin would give me 300W through the two 8 ohm cabs from one channel and 300W through the 4 ohm cab from the other channel. That's 600W. With the Firebass II, I can get 700W. Close, but I paid about $100 less for the Firebass and should I have a problem, I can take it into any Peavey dealer for service.