Carvin Raw Frame

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gmann, Jan 7, 2002.

1. gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    Anybody out there have any experience with raw speakers from Carvin? I just ordered thew cast frame 15" @ 4 ohms to put in my single 15 cab.
  2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have used Carvin PS12 and PS15 (stamped frame) speakers. The PS12 is a pretty good speaker for $70. I have 2 that I've used in a combo amp and would like to build a cab someday to put them in. The PS12 is not the most complex-sounding speaker but it handles a good range of frequencies and withstood the years of punishment I inflicted upon it, including driving it to very high levels with a 300 watt tube amp. I've also had good luck with a Carvin VL12 guitar speaker I put in an old tube combo.

The PS15, on the other hand, is one of the worst sounding 15's I've ever played through-slow, woofy, dark, with terrible pitch definition, and a tendency to distort even at very low levels. It replaced an old Peavey 15 I had floating around that was my previous benchmark for crappy bass tone. Of course, that's just my own experience-maybe I got a stinker, and I would expect the cast-frame version to perform better.

In general I've found the PS speakers to be durable but inefficient, with nowhere near the accuracy, punch, or clarity of the SWR, Eden, BagEnd, or EV stuff I've used. Carvin doesn't say who makes their speakers but the stickers on them look like ones I've seen on certain Eminence drivers.
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Emminence makes Carvin speakers to Carvin specs. I have an 8 Ohm PS15-C (cast frame) in a homemade cab that has served me well for three years... At $100 or so, I can't complain, it is a tough speaker... I also have a stamped PS15 in another cab, and while I wouldn't say it's the worst I've heard, it's nowhere near as good as the cast frame. There is a definite difference...