1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin RC210-18 Question??? Please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by billparks, Feb 3, 2006.

1. billparks

billparks

Feb 3, 2006
    I just took delivery on a new Carvin RC210 600w RL Series 3 combo amp ($449 from the Carvin ebay store!).

I decided to say goodbye to my trusty AKG C 414 back up studio mic, so I could complete the rig. With the $425 I got from a music store for the mic, I ordered the RL118 18" Carvin sub (and pocketed $75).

My question(s) are:

1. What is the best way to run this combo from the RL600, Full mode, BiAmped or Bridged?

2. Are the Speakon cables really worth the $40 and is there an audible difference?

Thanks in advance...
    Bill

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Going from memory, as it's been a while since I owned this amp.....

If memory serves, the 2x10 speaker section in the combo is already 4 ohms, and the head (in bridged mode) cannot tolerate anything below 4 ohms. So you cannot run *any* extension cab in parallel, and still run the amp bridged. You'd have to use one of the bi-amp modes, either full-range or high/low, when you use your 18".

Audible difference? IMHO no, others' opinions may differ. Speakons do have advantages, such as the locking connector - but I've never been able to hear the difference between speakon and good quality 1/4" speaker cable.

BTW, welcome to Talkbass.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I have a Series II (?) in my shop right now. It will do bridged at 4 ohms minimum, so that's out with two 4 ohm cabs. I'd just try both of the other modes and decide which you like better. The owner of this one usually biamps, I think.

You probably won't hear any difference until your 1/4" cable fails eventually.;) You can make your own Speakon cables very easily, but 40 bucks for a pair isn't a bad price either. You could probably make a pair of 3 footers with NL2 ends for ~$ 20, plus shipping and/or running around costs.

4. billparks

billparks

Feb 3, 2006
    Thanks guys...
    bill