Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin RC210-18 Question??? Please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by billparks, Feb 3, 2006.

1. billparks

billparks

Feb 3, 2006
    I just took delivery on a new Carvin RC210 600w RL Series 3 combo amp ($449 from the Carvin ebay store!).

I decided to say goodbye to my trusty AKG C 414 back up studio mic, so I could complete the rig. With the $425 I got from a music store for the mic, I ordered the RL118 18" Carvin sub (and pocketed $75).

My question(s) are:

1. What is the best way to run this combo from the RL600, Full mode, BiAmped or Bridged?

2. Are the Speakon cables really worth the $40 and is there an audible difference?

Thanks in advance...
    Bill

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Going from memory, as it's been a while since I owned this amp.....

If memory serves, the 2x10 speaker section in the combo is already 4 ohms, and the head (in bridged mode) cannot tolerate anything below 4 ohms. So you cannot run *any* extension cab in parallel, and still run the amp bridged. You'd have to use one of the bi-amp modes, either full-range or high/low, when you use your 18".

Audible difference? IMHO no, others' opinions may differ. Speakons do have advantages, such as the locking connector - but I've never been able to hear the difference between speakon and good quality 1/4" speaker cable.

BTW, welcome to Talkbass.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I have a Series II (?) in my shop right now. It will do bridged at 4 ohms minimum, so that's out with two 4 ohm cabs. I'd just try both of the other modes and decide which you like better. The owner of this one usually biamps, I think.

You probably won't hear any difference until your 1/4" cable fails eventually.;) You can make your own Speakon cables very easily, but 40 bucks for a pair isn't a bad price either. You could probably make a pair of 3 footers with NL2 ends for ~$ 20, plus shipping and/or running around costs.

4. billparks

billparks

Feb 3, 2006
    Thanks guys...
    bill