Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin red eye combo...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Suckbird, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    ...i found one on a swedish used page.

It costs 699$ wich is very cheap for a 2x10 600watt combo.

Are they good?

I play some funk, metal, classical, tapping etc...

I want a very very clean sound when i tap, but also a more steve harris kind o tone, but most important is the clean sound.

I'm not playing in a band yet but i have got a request if i wanna join a band but 15watts isn't enough.

If it matters, the bass is a ibanez btb 405.

I know alot of people like ashdoqns mag and EB series and ampegs B100r but how would these stand up against the carvin?

thanks,

2. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I suggest that you buy a half stck instead. Like the Ashdown Mag and an Avatar B212. It'll have alot more to it, and avatarspeakers.com has a deal with this setup.

I think most everyone will agree with me on this option. The problem with a combo is that you cant really upgrade it later if you need to. And there is no telling how 600 watts will sound by using 210s.

3. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    for that price i will second the avatar/mag idea. almost any talk basser will tell you avatar speakers are much better then carvin. plus the avatar speakers and amp will be bran new so you wont have to worry about them conkin out on ya.

4. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Not to mention that Carvin has had some not so worthy reviews. Alot of people say that while there heads and basses are good, there cabinets are lacking

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    He's in Sweden, he can't get Avatar.

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    What Sutton said to a point... I have an RC210 combo... The head is easily removed and used with other setups, (I have done this repeatedly for the 7+ years that I have owned mine)... The cabinet is adequate for what it is. As a portable, powerful combo, it is tough to beat. Carvin is also listing this cabinet with an R1000 head, (which they absolutely would not do when I bought mine... I asked)...

As for the Ashdown, I happen to have the MAG300 head, and likewise, cannot speak highly enough of my satisfaction... Great head with one or two 1X15 cabs... While there has been talk of Carvin perhaps 'overstating' their wattages, I don't see that with the Ashdown... Very powerful for the stated wattage. I use the MAG300 into a single 1X15, (this nets about 180 watts), and never have to go above about a third on the master to keep up in an eleven piece blues-funk-rock band...

Can't speak to the Avatar cabs, but I've got experience with both heads and the Carvin cab... I think either is a valid option... It's up to you to fit to your needs...

-robert

7. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Go for the Carvin. Very flexible and sounds great. Good luck.

8. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    If it has bad speakers but a good head.
    It's still as good as it's weakest link? :D

I dont think i wanna buy separate head and cab, it would be to much for me i guess.

9. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I wouldn't say that the speakers are bad, just the lesser component. I did have several problems blowing them, but then again, that was in a classic rock band competing against two guitarists who were always thinking that their guitar should be the most prominent feature of the band. I replaced the stock Carvin speakers with Eminence Kappas, and even though they're not 'matched' to the cabinet, it sounds fine. For the most part, this is the setup that I use in my four-piece roots-rock-blues gig and it has no problems...

Carvin also recently dropped the price on this combo and included the R1000 head... Excellent for bi-amping, (which the amp does nicely)...

-robert

10. $699.00 for a used RC210 seems high to me. ( may not be high in Sweden) Like rllefeve said you can get the 1000 watt for $740.00 right now. IMO the RC210 is not a true combo amp. It's a 210 cabinet with a rackmounted head in the top of it.

11. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I have owned carvin basses, amps and cabinets. I own none now. :meh: