Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Red Eye combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by david_l_perry, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Anybody used one or got any comments before I purchase one ?
    Its not for gigging (I leave that to my SWR SM900 electric fire and goliath Senior) Its for Rehersal/practice
    Cheers in advance

2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Ive had one for a few years now. It has the series 2 head. I use it for practicing, and with an extension cabinet it works well for gigs.

I love the head. however, the speakers suck if you play a 5 string like me. There is no real bottom end, and the cabinet is very inefficient. If I had to do it again, Id go buy an R600 head, and probably buy a 15 cab from avatar.

I currently use the R600 head to power a genz benz 610 and it does a beautiful job of it.

The carvin speakers are not at all near the quality of your SWR, and i think youd be dissapointed. good head, bad drivers.

3. Cheers for the comments
    I am trying to find a used SWR Super red head but they are like the proverbial rocking horse poo poo to find.
    I will be using the combo with a Trace elliot 1x15
    and I do play 5 string so the comments have been especially usefull.
    Many thanks

4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Yeah you already have a good 15" cab. I would just skip the combo and buy the head. Since it looks like you'll be getting a good low end from the TE I would personally order the 210 cab from avatar (their 210 cab is equally poor in the bass frequencies, but its cheap, has better drivers and is built better)

One more thing, be on the lookout for used R600 heads, they usually run about $350. Series 2 has a real tube in the preamp (sounds better IMO) but dont have speakon connectors in back. Series 3 has a tube emulator and speakon connectors in back as well as 1/4"

a used head (dont worry, theyre very well built) and an avatar cab would save you 3-400 dollars, and sound better.

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    if you go for a new R600, go for the R1000

for just $80 more, you get plenty more power

even used, I would seek out the R1000 over the R600