Carvin Redline 1000?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassplayerCD86, Dec 13, 2002.

1. BassplayerCD86

BassplayerCD86 Guest

Jan 11, 2001
    Ontario, CA
    I'm searching for an amp to buy, and I stumbled on the Carvin Redline Series-III 1000. Anyone tried it? Is it any good? It costs $650, is there anything else that you would recommend for this price?
  2. I've had mine for probably 6 months now and love it. some pretty good features. lots of power for a little price. payed $500 for it just barely used still in brand new condition.
  3. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I bought one and put it through the 15 day try out. It sounded great and had plenty of power. I returned it and bought an Ampeg B4r only because Ampeg has a 5 year warranty and I live close to the Ampeg factory :D I was concerned about the Carvin only having a 1 year warranty and not being able to get any local repairmen to work on it if something went wrong after warrany ran out. (The "we don't sell Carvin here, why should we repair it" mentality)
    As far as I'm concerned The Carvin sounded just as good as my Ampeg for about $300 less. So if you don't mind the Warranty only being 1 year I'd say go for it.
  4. I've had mine for about 3 years and it's still going strong.I use a Sans Amp preamp with mine but the preamp in the R 1000 sounds good too.It takes some tweaking to make them sound right but if you follow the manual closely and are patient the tones are in there.They aren't a plug and play head.Well worth the money.
  5. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I've had mine almost a year. Very solid. Probably too many knobs at first, but now that I have it set the way I like it, I don't touch it unless it's to adjust between being bridged and biamped. I'm overall pleased with it and even if I were to upgrade later to something else, I would keep it as a backup. (the sound-gate on it works great--IMO)
  6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I have a R600 series II that I got 6 months ago off Ebay for $200 (buy it now price) The preamp failed once but I got that fixed for $40. Overall I think it's a pretty nice amp, except for the non-bypassable mid cut that is on all Carvin bass amps. It has stereo send/returns which is cool.
  7. I own one and love it! Sounds great and has quite a bit of power. I also picked up the 810 stack (free shipping last year) and that is nice, too. Good for my 5 and 6 string basses. but, for my 4-string rock playing, it will be my Ampeg SVT stack anyday...Good luck!
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Try looking used, if you don't mind used gear. I got mine in a trade that would have equaled out to around $350-$400.
  9. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Thought I'd add that the preamp on my series II Carvin failed AGAIN. Seems like a dependable power amp, but I know I'm not the only one having problems with their preamp.