Carvin Redline 600 vs. Ashdown MAG300?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by django, Dec 20, 2004.

1. django

Dec 20, 2004
    Stockholm, Sweden

I´m new to this forum and I need your advice:

I´m looking for a budget bass rig. I play mostly rock and like the sound of Geezer, John Paul etc. I once played a gig on a Marshall VBA and I really liked the sound of it, too bad its that expensive. I´ve also played on an ampeg b2r but didn´t really like it, neither did i like an ebs rig, i guess i like that big warm sound with a little growl.

So i´ve found a used Carvin 600 for about $250, $300 with 15" celstion cab. Or, i´m thinking about buying an Ashdown MAG300 (costs about $400 in Sweden) haven´t tried any of them though... what are your opinions?
  2. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I saw that Carvin too. Nice price. I´d get that and something like a SansAmp bass driver to warm up the sound. 600W are always good to have, right? The MAG300 sounds a bit warmer but is more money, less power and not so well built IMO. I dont know about the cab that guy was selling though. Probably homemade... could be great. You never know.
  3. django

Dec 20, 2004
    Stockholm, Sweden
    there´s also a Trace Elliot AH350 for $300...
  4. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That is a great quality head. I had an old 300W 4x10 Trace combo once. Really solid and heavy. Never let me down and it was loud. Relly clean sound but that can be cured with a pedal like the SansAmp. Thats the one I´d get of those three options (if it´s in good shape). You can always check out the jj-labs cabs and heads at seems like great deals on new gear but I have never tried them.
  5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Of the 2 amps in the first post, I'd pick the Ashdown. The Carvin has more bells and whistles (knobs) but the Ashdown's got plenty of its own. I've tried out both, and really wanted to like the Carvin because of the price and my past good experience with the brand, but it took a lot of fiddling wiht the knobs to get a decent sound, and decent was the best I could get whether I tried to get a muddy, vintage sound, punchy sound, or a modern scooped sound. The Ashdown sounded good right away.
  6. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I happen to have both of the amps listed as heads, (dunno if you're referring to the MAG300 as a combo or head-only)...

IMO, they are both great amps, plenty of EQ options for the tweakers, etc.

I've had the Carvin since late '98 and it has been a steady workhorse... always able to get my tone with a variety of basses... In the last year, it has had a few minor problems that I have been able to take care of on my own. This amp has paid for itself and could blow up tomorrow and not owe me a dime.

I purchased the MAG300 as a backup a couple of months ago to replace my old Eden, (another mighty warrior that sadly, I believe, has gone to it's Valhalla)... The MAG quickly became my 'gigging' rig, delivering all the tone that I need with minimal tweaking... Plenty of power into 8 ohms... While it doesn't have quite the headroom of the Carvin, it comes pretty darn close. Keeps up in my current 11 piece blues/funk band without breaking a sweat :D

Two gripes: First, the DI is post EQ only, so if you feed a P.A. changes at the amp affect the board also. I use a separate DI... Second, the 'Subharmonic' feature is worthless IMO... Neither of these affected my decision at all.

While they're both good amps, I will agree with jock that the MAG300 doesn't seem to be as robustly built as the Carvin... I doubt that it would hold up as well over the same six years that I put the Carvin through, but I got a good deal on it.

I didn't really help much, other than to say that you could easily do worse that either of these amps!

7. PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    thanx for the input on the r 600. am wondering whether it can be used as just a pre amp? trs out of effects send to a different power amp..