Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Redline or Acoustic 370?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Reverend179, Feb 15, 2003.

Eh?

1. Acoustic 370

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Carvin Redline

15 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Other (please specify- my limit for the amp itself is around 800 bucks)

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. It's new amp time. Assuming that I'll be running either into a 4x10 and a 2x15 (or a 1x18), which would you pick?

2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Your asking to choose between a brand new amp with warranty or a 25 year old amp with no warranty. I think this is a no brainer because the Carvin has infinite tone shaping/biampable/lighter. The Acoustic 370 was a great amp in its day, but not as flexable tonewise as the Carvin. Of course you can find a 370 for $300-$400, so you could have money left over for cabinets. Try the Acoustic if you can (unless you live near LA, trying the Carvin can be expensive if you don't like it and have to return it) and use your ears. If the acoustic sounds good to you, then you have your answer. As always, YMMV

3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    as stated above, teh accoustic comes with no warranty.... so any problems could be very expensive and time consuming to fix.

i highly reccomend the red line heads, i have an R600. love it. very durable and reliable, and i know carvins customer service is great too (i had problems with a preamp in a bass going out, they sent me a new one in 2 days)

i love mine. you cant have it.

4. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    Don't have a Carvin, but I've had nothing but rock-solid reliability out of my 370.

5. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I just got a carvin R600 and so far it kicks b00tay. used for $350. even new cavins are a steal, so thats where my vote goes.

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Those are two very different amps, with totally different tonal responses. I'll assume that you want to have a modern tone.

The 370 was a great amp in its day. It would sound very dated today. Unless you really want to sound like a 1970s rocker bassman and nothing else, I'd suggest going with the Carvin. You could probably make it sound like the 370 if you muted the highs, and boosted the bass and mids in the right combination. You could also get a modern tone as well.

7. Another vote for Carvin.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'll vote for the Carvin just because it's newer and will be more reliable. It's good to own gear from a company that's still in business.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Amen to Blackbird's statement. The R heads have incredible tonal flexibility and, like Duracell batteries, they just "keep going and going and going and going......" I just sold one but I also am keeping one as a back-up just because I know I can count on it. Plus, the R heads aren't fussy about speaker resistance/ohms.
    Having someone who will service their product, like Carvin, means a great deal, as Blackbird says.

But for your speakers - I suggest finding something like used Genz-Benz's or used Ampegs to complement your R head and still stay within your budget.