Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Redline Vs. Hartke

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalloid, Feb 2, 2001.

1. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    Sorry if I am asking an often repeated question, but would like some opinions...

I just bought a Carvin LB75P bass which should he in my hands in about 2 months. Until then, I am shopping for an amp.

I dont really know what to look for, and cant demo many amps, because only Guitar Center is close by, and I am not impressed with them.

Anyway-

I am looking into getting either a Carvin Redline 2 x 10 combo and eventually getting the extension speaker, or a hartke head (not sure which) and a 4.5 XL cab.

I dont really know my style, the bass sounds I like come from jazz players, but I play in a metal band. I would like to be able to make a fat sound and also a slap sound.

Any opinions?

Thanks

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's about a toss-up, I'd say. If you got a Hartke 3500, 5000, or 7500 with the 4.5 XL cab, it'd probably have a better tonal range than the Carvin, but the Carvin is 600 watts, and you could add a 15 under it in the future, and blow the Hartke setup away. You really can't go too far wrong with either choice. I've played Hartke and liked it. Ask JBPLAYER about his Carvin Cyclops (another option).