1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin Refinish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by blackreverend, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Hi Everyone,
    I have a Carvin LB76 in gloss black finish, and I am looking to strip it to bare wood, and refinish in Tung oil.
    Looking for advice about how to do so, and what type of remover I might need (not sure about what kind of finish Carvin uses). Any help would be appreciated.

2. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I can't tell you how to do this but before you try, do you know what body wood was used? The reason I ask is that if I had a bass like that I'd want some beautiful grain showing. In most cases, not in all, the painted basses cover up some wood that isn't attractive in it's natural state. If you have the serial number, Carvin (now Kiesel) can check their records to find out what body wood was used.

3. Alder body, 1 piece maple neck

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Carvin uses a thick polyurethane finish. You should be able to pop it off with a heat gun and a paint scraper. If you look up a Squier or Fender poly refin you should see the process. I have never done this to a Carvin body though. When I sanded my old LB76F neck down to bare wood I found out how thick they spray it. Mind you, that was a 1998 model.

5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Generally, basses are painted a solid color for a reason. I have yet to see someone strip the finish off of a body in favor of a natural finish and it actually look better.

Axstar and Dadagoboi like this.
  6. While I generally agree with this, I'm planning on staining the wood after, so if the body is really ugly, I will be covering it up somewhat.
    Also, Carvin uses pretty good wood, so I'm hoping not to run into this :p