Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin reliability issues?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Krusher, May 2, 2002.

1. Krusher

Krusher

Apr 30, 2002
    I'm interested in getting a carvin bass amp (combo), but I've heard that they have reliability issues...like they break down under heavy use or after a few years. Is this true?

Or are there any better alternatives in that price range, say $500

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i had a pb200 combo for a few years and it never had any problems.... i worked it pretty hard too. can't speak for the rest of them though.

3. I've owned a few Carvin basses and an R600 bass head and they were all very well made, reliable and sounded great.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got a Series 2 Carvin R600 that was played hard in quite a few unfriendly environments for 4 years, or so. It has recently developed a problem that I believe to be a faulty capacitor somewhere in the preamp chain. I've recently started using just the power amp, and it works like a charm. It will definitely suffice until my new Aguilar arrives next week.

I definitely feel like I got my money's worth out of the Carvin. I paid about $700 for the RC210 combo many moons ago, and recently sold the cab fo a couple of hundred bucks. So, I am not too upset that the preamp section is starting to get a little peculiar. It is probably just a $50 repair to get it worked on if I ever feel like it needs to be fixed. But, like I said, the poweramp portion sounds great with an Alembic SF2 Superfilter as the preamp.