Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin RL-115 or 118 owners....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Jul 29, 2002.

1. first off, i'm probably the most jaded person on this site against carvin stuff, but i can't get over the super cheap price of the RL-115 aND 118 cabinets. anybody out there use these with a Bi-amped non-carvin-head system? are these worth my money? it's gonna take a miracle for me to walk into their showroom again, so i need some input from you all.... thanks!

2. I used an RL115 cab quite a few times with my Crest power amp an Eden 210T and it was pretty terrible. It crapped out early and didn't have the lows one would expect from a 15. I've yet to meet a Carvin cab I liked. I've used their 2x10 cab, 15" floor monitors and PA speakers and I didn't think any of them worth a hoot.

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i put a carvin 15 4 ohm. 600 watt speaker in my old fender cab it was a whole new cab! it sounded great louder, had more punch.
    i like the speaker. maybe the porting is wrong

steve

4. Mudbass- your experience sounds like my last trip to the carvin showroom... nothing worked, batteries were dead, and speakers were blown.. i guess you get what you pay for..

5. The first time I was in a Carvin showroom I'd gone in to check out their 1000 head. I didn't like it. I thought it sounded pretty weak, but looking back on it and now that I have considerably more experience under my belt with Carvin speakers, I think I may have judged the head unfairly. It might have sounded great through another company's cabs, but how was I to determine that in a Carvin showroom? There was one thing about the head I couldn't blame on the speakers though and that was the compressor...ug! I asked the Carvin guy, what's making the horrible noise comming out of this thing? He says...oh, that would be the compressor. He walked across the room and turned it off for me...there, try that, he said.
    Ha! :)

6. hah!! that's comedy. the first 2 basses i tried had dead batteries, and the showroom guys didn't even change them.. they just hung the basses back on the wall. i tried the RL-600 2x10 combo and that had a blown speaker, and the RL-1000 head i tried had no juice at all.. lights came on, but nobody was home...! the salespeople were practically worthless.. sorry to any carvin employees out there, but i was not impressed. i had a pocketful of cash, and left with it intact..

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Which one did you go to? I've spent an hour or two playing half the stuff on the wall on a couple of dozen occasions in the Santa Ana showroom, and only twice, out of a couple of hundred pieces played, have I encountered gear that wasn't working right. A lower percentage than I see at the average GC or Sam Ash. FWIW

8. it was the one here in San Diego.. Carmel Mtn. Ranch or something? i forget.. it disturbed me. speaking of GC i saw 2 brand new Fender FMT's on the wall at the San Marcos store that were missing knobs. the 2 pedulla's had dead batteries too.. this was last tuesday...

9. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'm a big Carvin supporter for the most part, but after 4 years of trying, I've become somewhat dis-illusioned with their cabinets. They are a value for the dollar, I just won't be spending anymore of my dollars on their cabinets! I've had an RC210 combo for nearly four years now, have replaced the speakers several times, lastly with Eminence Kappas, and while that was a HUGE improvement, the cabinet still would not stand on it's own with my rock band. It worked fine bi-amped, but I was looking for a stand-alone combo. I've since given up that quest...

The R600 head... No complaints there! I am now running it into a single 15" cabinet loaded with an Eminence Kappa 15LF. Plenty of booty there! For highs, I've pulled one of the Kappas from the Carvin 2X10 and loaded it into an Bullfrog 1X10 cabinet... I was very surprised to find that this cab sounded better than the Carvin 2X10... easier to haul too...

I guess the point of this post... I can't fault the Carvin cabs, as the price is right. I've just discovered that they no longer meet my needs.

-robert

10. "I've had an RC210 combo for nearly four years now, have replaced the speakers several times"

this quote scares me. 4 years and you've had to change the speakers several times? that's insane! i've got an ampeg cab that's 12 years old that hasn't needed new speakers! wow.. i guess i'll save my cash. i think i need more reliability than that...

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I have a friend with a triamped Carvin rig. He uses an Ampeg SVP, a 3 way crossover, compressors for each frequency band a bunch of huge power amps and three pairs of Carvin cabinets...two 210t, two 115 and two 118.

I've never heard it live but it kicks like a mule in his studio. He posted reviews on the cabinets on Harmony Central...take a look.

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Without saying what's right or wrong, I think it would be a mistake to base a buying decision solely on one opinion. Don't get me wrong, I'm not crazy about the Carvin bass cabs (I don't like them nearly as well as I like their amps), but to conclude that they must be unreliable because of one post is kind of hasty, no? I had a blown speaker in an Ampeg once; does that mean that any Ampeg cab must be unreliable?

13. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    That would have been the factory store. I'm astounded that the factory would let the showroom gear get that far out of whack.

But stuff happens. I tried out a Red Line stack at Carvin's Covina store, and discovered that the speakers were hooked up to the wrong jacks in bi-amp mode; the 15 was hooked to the high frequency output, and the 2x10 to the low output. Being a techno-Good Samaritan, I straightened it out for them. :D

I agree with Robert, the Carvin cabs are a good value, but they're not for me.

14. robert lindsay - you are so right.. it wasn't just his post that made me feel that way. my reply gave that impression though.. i should've been a little clearer..

15. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    i have an rl118. i don't play bass through it anymore, we use it as a sub in the pa. it's held up so far.

16. npbassman

npbassman Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    FWIW - I have a carvin 2x10 and 18 and I don't use them anymore because they just couldn't cut it. In fact, I threw a bagend 18 into the carvin cab because it has built-in casters and it totally revived it. I now use it as part of my live rig.

Mike

My band