Carvin RL-115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Mar 23, 2003.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Whats´your opinion on this cab?
    Is it rather flat sounding or does it have a low mid bump? Can it handle a lot of power? Reliable etc...
    I found a used one and there is nothing as cheap as Avatar in Europe...
  2. dooberheim

May 17, 2002
    Hi jock:

I have the Carvin RL-118 (sorry, not the 1 x 15). It is quick for an 18" and can handle a lot of power. It goes pretty low (low B is NO problem, and can go a step below that). There are more efficient 18" cabs (SWR and Eden come to mind) around, but you'll often pay a lot more for them. I think it is one of the better Carvin cabinets.

You might get more response asking this on the Carvin BBS (

Avatar is a different company. They are at I hear great things about them but have never heard one of their cabs.

Hope that helps

3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    The quality of the Carvin cabinets is very good, they are well built and very sturdy.

However, the hardware sucks. Plastic handles on the side that feel flimsy, nasty little metal cabinet corners that do not have a stack-lock feature, the carpet peels off easily and is rather thin. The speakers used in the cabinet arent particularly good either, they are acceptable, but for the price I would go buy an eminence loaded avatar cab.

The Carvin speakers are in fact made by eminence, but to Carvin's specs. I have an eminence omega pro 18 loaded cab, as well as a Genz Benz 610 cab, and the quality of these speakers far surpasses those used my Carvin cab. I play a 5 string and use the lowest notes a lot, the carvin speakers are notorious for not producing much low end. It was ok when I played 4 strings, but it will not handle anything above practice volume for my 5 string basses.

Bottom line, I'm a huge fan of carvin, I love their basses and their amps, but the cabinets leave a lot to be desired, and better deals can be had for the money. I'd look at avatar and peavey in that price range.

this is all of course in my humble opinion and experience.
  4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Personally, I don't care for Carvin, however, I have held onto my Carvin 1x15 because it gets the job done and I pair it with either a 2x10 or 4x10.

I haven't played through an Avatar 1x15, but I have one of their 4x10s and i swear by it! Based upon my experience with both products, I'd get an Avatar long before I'd get another Carvin.

Amp-wise, I'd never look at another Carvin again. Woefully underpowered and overrated, wattage-wise.