Carvin RL1000 with an Acme B-4?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman1185, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Just curious, but how would this sound? I know that the Carvin amps have lots of tone shaping abilities, so it would make up for the lack of color in the cab. I've read a lot of good stuff on Acmes, but everybody said that they were really power hungry. I play five strings, so the good low end on the Acme is attacting me. Would I be able to get a good sound for heavy rock/metal?
  2. EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    Sorry Zeb, I think it might be a little underpowered. I was just checking the specks on it for you and they looked a little weak. 350/350 for 4 ohms which is what the Acme's are. I don't know if you would still get 700 watts out of that in mono or not maybe so. But if you do then its a good deal. If not, go SWR!
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The R1000 puts out 1000W bridged at 4 ohms...

4. I'd think 1000 watts would be sufficient.

Don't you??????????
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No, Acmes come in either 4 or 8 ohms.

I had some recent experience with Carvin and Acme. I was bridging an R600 into a 4 ohm B-2. Sonically, I loved the combination. But there was some sort of weird interaction going on, and the amp kept shutting down. Maybe the Acme is peculiarly demanding, and that was part of the problem, coupled with the fact that when you bridge that amp into 4 ohms, you're using it at the limits of its specs (4 ohm bridge = using both sides at 2 ohms per).

I'm morally certain, though, that I wouldn't have had a problem if I'd bridged into 8 ohms (= 4 ohms per side). That would have been less stressful for the amp. So if I were you and were set on the Acme, I would get an 8 ohm Acme to use with the R1000. You'll get about 700 W that way. This will probably sound pretty good, but don't expect huge volume. The B-4 is about 3 dB more efficient than the B-2, but it's not as efficient as, say, an Eden or an Epifani.

This may not, however, be the sound you want for heavy rock/metal. Acmes are not edgy, aggressive speakers, they're more smooth and studiolike. I'd say you were better off with an R1000 into something like an Eden D410XLT. Others can tell you more about Epifani, Aguilar, bergantino, and stuff like that. Good luck.
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
  7. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I'm running a Carvin RL1000 into Aguilar cabs presently. Last Sunday I found myself up against a Les Paul thru a Mesa Dual Rectifier guitar rig. He had it run thru a Marshall 4x12, a Roland 4x8, and slaved thru a H7K 2x12 combo. Let's just say it was a monitoring issue in a large room, and yes, it was LOUD. I wore Drumkans isolation headphones.
    They still had trouble hearing the guitar over the Carvin RL1000 into just 1 Aguilar GS410, unbridged. Personally, I like to run a GS115 w/ the 410, it gives a good balanced tone w/ a little more low's; but the single 4x10 simply roars with that head. Unbelievable! This was also up against miked drums, which I stood right next to. The bass amp was not run through the PA, and I was about 30 feet away from the amp.
    I ran a Dean 8 string bass thru a distortion pedal, and I don't think my guitarist is ever going to forgive me...
    I'll vouch for this setup- I hardly ever bridge it, don't need to. Plenty loud, but most importantly, great tone! The RL head is quite versatile, but I find I don't tweak it much, just set it and go.
    With the 2 Aguilar cabs I use, it's down to a 2.6 ohm load, or somewhere thereabouts, and it's plenty so far. No thermal problems, no tone complaints. I do plan on trying out some other heads soon, just to see what else is out there, but this is sure getting the job done for now!
  8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Mark, do you bridge the R1000 into the two Ag cabs? Or do you run it unbridged, one cab per side?
  9. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've only bridged to a single GS410, 4 ohms.

I've got two GS410's @ 4 ohms, one GS115 @ 8 ohm, so I don't have 2 cabs I can bridge together.
    I don't find that I really need to bridge anywho... but I like to try every option to see what you get.

So I'm usually running unbridged, fullrange on a GS410 and GS115, all level knobs @ 12:00.
    All 3 preshapes engaged on the Carvin.

whatchu running these days, Richard?
  10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Mark, right now I'm running an Eden WT400 into a 4 ohm B-2. Sounds good, but it's not quite enough power. It's all I need right now, though. Eventually, I think I'll do the preamp/power amp thing and get a 2nd B-2. If I have 600-800 W a side, I should be fine with that setup.

BTW, if you're not bridging when you run your two cabs together, you're not really facing the amp with a total load of 2.67 ohms. It's just 8 ohms to one amp and 4 to the other. Now, if you daisychained them both into the bridged output with the bridge switch on, *that* would be a 2.67 ohm load, and I can pretty much guarantee your amp would not like that one bit! It would be like putting a 1.33 ohm load on each side. Not good.
  11. Ok, how about this: A bass POD Pro over a 1500 or so watt power amp on top of an 8-ohm Acme B4? That way the POD wouldn't have it's modeling colored by the cab or the amp. Just another thought.