Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin RL1018 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wonkeaux, Jan 11, 2003.

1. wonkeaux

wonkeaux

Jan 11, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    I'm considering purchasing a Carvin Bass Rig
    the RL1018 which you can scope out at their website -after being impressed with the price and features, my only concern is in their catalog they show the frequency response chart which as it nears my Low B string's 30 Hz seems like maybe it won't push those low frequencies all that terribly well. I don't have the catalogue in front of me at the moment but I recall drop-off was looking like an issue at 50Hz. my question is if I buy this rig and plug my 6 string Bass into into it, how will the open low B-string sound? is there a better head for low end? (probably not this cheap I bet). I used to use a GK800RB but it blew up on me as I've heard they do, GK replaced literally eerything inside the chassis and it blew again, so I'm off GK's forever. also I really think I need 1,000W at this point in my career. I'm currently using an old Kustom Keyboard amp & Cab becasue it's all I have.
    someone help me!

2. Well believe it or not, the cab's will handle it, I've seen someone play a 5 string through that rig, which still has the low B...It didn't kick as hard as I like an 18 to, but it still kicked a lil bit....Very nice sound, he had the series 2 head, which didn't have the emulation, it had a real 12AX7, which I think sounds a little bit warmer than the series 3's....That head'll put a whompin into those cabs, but I'd get rid of them(or buy another brand of cabs and the r1000 head) pretty quick...The cabs are innefficient and I think they get a bit muddy if you really really push it(I'm talking extreme volumes) but they stay semi tight at lower volumes...

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have that rig.. Series 2 head, 4x10, 1x18. Never had to run it past 1/4 power, so can't speak about how it sounds at high volume, but at the power level I used it at, low B works fine. However, based on comments from others, I'd get the amp, and go with Avatar cabs.

4. I second that opinion.

Get the R1000 head, and pick up a couple of Avatar cabs.

5. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    this is great advice (IMO)
    :D