Carvin RL1018 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wonkeaux, Jan 11, 2003.

1. wonkeaux

Jan 11, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    I'm considering purchasing a Carvin Bass Rig
    the RL1018 which you can scope out at their website -after being impressed with the price and features, my only concern is in their catalog they show the frequency response chart which as it nears my Low B string's 30 Hz seems like maybe it won't push those low frequencies all that terribly well. I don't have the catalogue in front of me at the moment but I recall drop-off was looking like an issue at 50Hz. my question is if I buy this rig and plug my 6 string Bass into into it, how will the open low B-string sound? is there a better head for low end? (probably not this cheap I bet). I used to use a GK800RB but it blew up on me as I've heard they do, GK replaced literally eerything inside the chassis and it blew again, so I'm off GK's forever. also I really think I need 1,000W at this point in my career. I'm currently using an old Kustom Keyboard amp & Cab becasue it's all I have.
    someone help me!
  2. Well believe it or not, the cab's will handle it, I've seen someone play a 5 string through that rig, which still has the low B...It didn't kick as hard as I like an 18 to, but it still kicked a lil bit....Very nice sound, he had the series 2 head, which didn't have the emulation, it had a real 12AX7, which I think sounds a little bit warmer than the series 3's....That head'll put a whompin into those cabs, but I'd get rid of them(or buy another brand of cabs and the r1000 head) pretty quick...The cabs are innefficient and I think they get a bit muddy if you really really push it(I'm talking extreme volumes) but they stay semi tight at lower volumes...
  3. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have that rig.. Series 2 head, 4x10, 1x18. Never had to run it past 1/4 power, so can't speak about how it sounds at high volume, but at the power level I used it at, low B works fine. However, based on comments from others, I'd get the amp, and go with Avatar cabs.
  4. I second that opinion.

Get the R1000 head, and pick up a couple of Avatar cabs.
  5. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    this is great advice (IMO)