Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin RL115 Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adamaarts, Jan 23, 2004.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    ive had my 1x15 for about a year now i think, and have had a lot of learning experiences over the last few months. i thought for a long time that this speaker was going out, distorting, and i hated it, but voila, new battery in my bass, and the distortion is gone, and i can finally get the potential out of this speaker.

to make a long review short, its very solid and clear sounding, has a bit of low mid oomph, that goes great with a little boost in the low mids. the highs are good for a 15, but not as bright as i like from 10s. but they are very sufficient in most situations. the tone is mostly whatever you want it to be, i get great piano tones from it with a little boost in the treble, and i would continue t say that bottom line, its very flexible in your tone choice.

i have gigged this a few times for smaller shows. some church gigs, and a small concert, and some backyard parties and such. it has never failed to cut through the mix, and even over powered a marshall half stack, i had to turn down, this speaker has carried its own.

its very portable, and very flexible in tones like i said, so overall, this cab is a good buy, ive always used it alone, never paired it with 10s, so i cant say its a great addition, but its a good start. i havent tried avatar or most other cabs, but for the money, this is a great deal for the bassist on a budget.

2. I gig with one all of the time paired up with a 410 here and there. Good as a stand-alone cab, too.