1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin RL410T review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Apr 4, 2006.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I just got my RL410T yesterday, but haven't gotten to play around with it until just now.
    For all the reviews I read saying that this cabinet "doesn't have ANY low end" and that "this is a GUITAR cabinet", the reveiwers have obviously been smoking crack. I know the speaker specs say "60hz to 16KHz" but that doesn't mean that it doesn't reproduce anything below 60Hz. It may reproduce 44Hz at -10dB; like so many other bass cabinets do (namely Ampeg). With ONLY the RL410T plugged into my SVT 200T, and raising the "Ultra Low" frequency, gain at 5, stage vloume at 5, and futzing around with all the upper eq parameters to make it sound the way I like it, the mirror in my bathroom was vibrating on the wall 2 rooms away, the tea kettle was vibrating on the stove, and my head hurts now form overexposure to tremendous sound pressure levels.
    I used my G&L 5-string with Pensa Pre-amp in it. You CAN use a 5-string with this cabinet.
    This cabinet does have low end, and for the $319 price I paid, it does pretty well. It moves a LOT of air through the front porting.
    It didn't start farting out until I was overloading the amp with too much gain, and that's the amp's fault.
    It sounds very close to an SWR 4x10 I played through a few times before.
    But it is a 4x10. It is not by any means a 1x15. No 4x10 will reproduce the same frequencies a 1x15 can. I'd have to say I'm pretty happy with it.
    ...and to think I started to get a bit nervous after reading the constant bad reviews.
    I am feverishly waiting to hear how it sounds once I get the SVT 2.
    With both the 4x10 and 1x15 together, I believe I may wind up with a "plumbing incident"...
    I can only imagine that if it had some Neo speakers in it, it would sound even better. I might do that in the future if I want to experiment...

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Congrats on the new cab! I love Carvin amps and cabs. They certainly get a lot of bad reviews but I haven't had any problems with mine and I think it sounds fantastic. It's easy to get caught up in specs, but the bottom line is how something sounds. A lot of manufacturers lie about specs anyway. Glad to hear that someone else is enjoying the Redline as much as I am. Good luck.

3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Yeah, it's a decent cabinet. I have an older Carvin V115 as well, which I bought around '97 or so. The V115 creates tremendous lows, it is an awesome cab, and I think I paid about $250 for it new.
    Comparing this 410 to the Hartke 410XL I had a few years ago, the Hartke would have been breaking up real bad on the low end of the scale the way I pushed the Carvin. This Carvin stayed pretty clean even with the low B flapping.
    One thing I did notice, the E note (5th fret) of the B string does lack a teeny bit of punch, but the lower notes on the B are reproduced louder. The cab, however does eminate the lower harmonics of that E note. It may be the bass, or it may be the speakers. But in all I think it's a good cab for the price.
    The horn can be a bit harsh set set up high, but it doesnt hiss like the horn on my SWR combo amp. I set the attenuation at -6dB for the horn. The highs are crisp, but that's not what my game is. I like strong mids anf low-mids. I'm not into sphincter rupturing frequencies in the neighborhood of 22hz. That's when stuff starts getting annoying.
    At this point I am satisfied with it.

4. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i am guessing it is the new deeper model. i just got a 210 about two months ago and it is much deeper than what i expected because of others reviews.

then i noticed that Carvin had increased the depth of the enclosure a bit to enhance the low end. :)

and congrats on the new cab!

5. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    What depth were they before? 16"? how recently did they increase?
    The BRX cabs are also 18", and if so many people are saying how great they are, I'm sure these RL's can sound just as good with the Neo speakers in them. If I ever feel saucy and have a couple hunderd bucks buring a hole in my pocket, I may experiment. I can then sell the original speakers on ebay and make some back...
    I'm sure my amp isn't in it's best form either. At times, I hear a bit of "frizzle-fry" behind my notes, and at times it overpowers the sound altogether. When it gets that bad, I have to pull my guitar able and "clip" the preamp. Then the "frizzle" goes away for some time.
    This is an 80's SVT 200 T, and it was bought for $300 on ebay. 3 knobs are missing. I'm sure it has seem better days. I think the "frizzle" is perhaps a bad capacitor or filter in the solid state circuitry. Once I get a new amp, I'm sure this cab will rock!

6. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Supporting Member Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    That's cool you're diggin' your RL cab.
    If you think the RL sounds good , wait til you try the BRX cabs.
    My BRX12 is 20" deep. Huge lows. I actually cut the sub lows @ 30hz on this cab.