1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin RL410T volume and low-end loss

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigchiefbc, Oct 30, 2013.

1. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    Last practice, about 2 songs in, I lost a ton of volume and all of my low-end. Total volume was way down, but I noticed that the E string was all upper harmonics and was much quieter than the D and G strings.

At first I switched my bass to passive mode to make sure it wasn't a battery, then I figured it was my amp, so I plugged my amp into my guitarist's cab, and BOOM there is all my volume and low-end, it sounded perfect.

So it's definitely the cab (a Carvin RL410T). I tried turning my amp up to about 5 (3 is usually where I run it for a clean sound, it's a non-master tube amp). No more volume, some distortion. I turn it up to 7, heavily distorted, still no more volume.

I brought it home tonight, took the grate off and examined each speaker individually. All 4 are bouncing when I put signal through it. When I gently push each one in, there's no scraping sound, and all 4 of them move easily. So none of them SEEM blown. I took off the back plate, and I don't see any burn marks or loose wires.

I tried my amp one more time through another cab, and it sounded perfect, tons of bass and volume.

I thought about just bypassing the crossover and going straight from the input jack to the speakers, but it's not all open wiring like my Avatar; it's all PCB-mounted jacks and components.

Any ideas here?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Search up the "battery test". Do that...report back.

I used to have that same cab years ago.

3. bigchiefbc

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    The fact that all 4 speakers are moving when I put signal through it pretty much makes the 9V test moot, doesn't it? If not, then I guess I'll go find a 9V

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Man, I know you don't want to hear this bro, but I have had 3 of those cabs and they all ended up with problems. I was blowing drivers though. It sounds more like your problem may be some sort of a wiring issue or something.

5. Speakers sharing the same air space can move sympathetically. If you do the battery test and you see some speakers moving the opposite direction, you probably have blown speakers. Blown speakers will move when you make the connection but then move back when voltage is still applied.

6. bigchiefbc

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    Ah, ok thanks, that's what I was wondering. I'll go find a 9V to test with then.

7. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy

Feb 26, 2008
    Newark,De.
    Most likely the crossover is shot. I have a load of these cabinets,and have replaced several crossovers over the years. Always keep a spare on hand. Also check and make sure all the connections are on the speakers and tight.