Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin RL410T vs hartke 410xl

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DanfromCT, Sep 14, 2000.

1. I know that in most cases, you guys would all tell me to try em both out and pick what i like, and i would have done that already, but as u all know, i cant try out a carvin before i buy it unless i go to california. Thus, i need to see what u all think. I've decided on the hartke 3500 head for my new rig, mainly because of price and flexibility, and its down to the hartke 410xl and the carvinRL410. has anyone compared these two cabs?, if so, what are the pros/cons of each, thanks alot for any help- Dan

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I currently own a Hartke 2000 Bass head, but i just prefered to mate it with an Ampeg SVT410HE enclosure.
    At this time.. and about the same dough that I spent 4 years ago on this rig, I wanna buy a Carvin RL1015 Full Stack.
    I would recomend you to do the Same.
    I like the sound of Hartke Cabs, but only the 4.5 XL not the MX not the Transporter, Only the 4.5.

I think you should get a hartke full stack.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I own a Hartke 2000 head and Carvin RLT 4x10 speaker enclosure. I used to own a Hartke 4x10 XL series cab as well, the sound from the Carvin is much warmer than that of the Hartke, Carvin also has a much higher power rating than Hartke. Hartke cabs are 400 watts the Carvin is 600 watt. And another thing I noticed back in the days when I used to work for music stores was that the Hartke cabs were notorius for blowing speakers. I saw more Hartkes come in than any other brand. I love my Carvin...it has a nice deep full sound with pleanty of bottom end and that lil tweeter is a blessing too, the highs ring out crytal clear. And for the price you really cant beat it!!

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I meant.. that you should get a CARVIN full stack.
    the RL1015

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Same experience here with hartke speakers. Harsh sounding easy to blow speakers.Then you have to send your speaker back to New Jersey before they will replace it. I run a Carvin 210 cab with my Ampeg stuff sometimes and it sounds great.Also I owned a 3500 and it was a great amp.I personally would run that amp with the Carvin 410 cab. Heck for the money you'd save you could buy a Carvin 1-18 cab to put under the 410!!!

6. Eric M

Eric M

Aug 26, 2000
    FWIW, I have a Hartke 4.5XL and a Hartke 2x15XL. As for "blown" speakers, all of the Hartke's I've seen "blown" (including one of my own 10's) weren't actually blown at all, just that the dust cover (the black felt center piece on the outside) came partially loose, causing a "blown" speaker buzzing sound, and was easily and cheaply reattached by a local tech. I have NEVER seen the aluminum cone ripped on one such that it would HAVE to be sent back to Hartke, although I'm sure someone somewhere probably had to.

Also, you have to be mindful to let the Hartke speakers warm up before playing in the winter, as severe cold makes the aluminum brittle. By this I mean waiting 30 minutes or so, and not just walking in the door and immediately plugging in at high volumes.

If you live anywhere where there's extreme humidity, the Hartke's don't get "soggy" and rot out like paper cone speakers do in extreme climates. I lived in the Caribbean for awhile - I should know . . .

7. timp

timp

Jul 19, 2000
    Hey DanfromCT,

SInce you are already in the mode of "Buy before you try", you really aught to give the Acme Low B-2 a try. I just got mine recently, and for the first time ever I had to back off the Bass tone on my amp. These little cabs have HUGE bottom. A friend and fellow bassist at church asked to play through my cab 2 weeks ago. Last week when he came in he wanted to use it again. He said that it compared to his SWR Goliath II. Check one out, you won't be dissapointed!!

8. im having trouble getting specs from the carvin site
    maybe someone can help me. I need to know some things
    impedence
    power handling
    frequency response
    efficency
    etc
    thanks alot

9. timp

timp

Jul 19, 2000