Carvin RL410T vs. Kustom TR410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Jan 27, 2001.

1. after realizing i need to make more loud noise, ive decided my next purchase is going to be a 4x10 cab. I dont have enough money yet to buy one, but i want to know what i should be looking for when i do. My price range is around $400. The two cabs im currently looking at are the Carvin RL410T and the Kustom TR410. right now im leaning towards the carvin, but i need some opinions on what the good/bad sides of each cab.
  2. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I can't comment on either of those specific cabinets, but I can comment on Carvin and Kustom. I own gear from both. My Kustom 2x15 is very old and of high quality construction. It has a decent sound for 15's. I have read somewhere that the newer Kustom line is not of the quality level of their earlier stuff. I believe the company has changed hands, died and was reborn, etc. over the years. You might look at the bass gear reviews at

Carvin is good value for the money. I have a 2x10 (4 ohms) and it has a nice overall tone, but the two drawbacks are (1) it is not very efficient, so I have to put a lot of power into it to get decent volume, and (2) its low-end response isn't that great - starts to die out below 60-80 Hz. The Carvin 4x10 is (or was) 8 ohms only, so you might consider that in your decision. I think Carvin would be better off to make their 2x10 cabinets 8 ohms and their 4x10's 4 ohms: it is desirable to put more power into the bigger cabinet.

Other than this, I can't say which is better. I'd recommend the Carvin if the impedance, efficiency, and low-frequency response (look at the f.r. curves, not their stated freq. range) are acceptable to you. If not, then Kustom might be worth looking into.

- Mike
  3. tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    i personally use the carvin rl410 with a rl15. the 410 definitely gets the job done for me, but thats considering i run the frequency cut off at about 400 Hz. i run clean bass and mids through a 15 and all my highs and FX through the 410's. the rl410 is great for that but i wouldnt run too much low end through it.
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I own and use a Carvin RL410T enclosure, I love it, it gets great bottom end, nice mids and very crip highs, it will definatly cut through the mix and fill the room with good earth shaking lows :oops:) and they are very durable, i transport mine all over they are very road worthy...i also use a hartke 2000 head to power it.
  5. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have a Carvin RL1000 head with 4x10 and 1x18 - works great for me.
  6. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hey Brooks, nice name. :)