Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin RL410T vs. Kustom TR410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Jan 27, 2001.

1. after realizing i need to make more loud noise, ive decided my next purchase is going to be a 4x10 cab. I dont have enough money yet to buy one, but i want to know what i should be looking for when i do. My price range is around $400. The two cabs im currently looking at are the Carvin RL410T and the Kustom TR410. right now im leaning towards the carvin, but i need some opinions on what the good/bad sides of each cab.

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I can't comment on either of those specific cabinets, but I can comment on Carvin and Kustom. I own gear from both. My Kustom 2x15 is very old and of high quality construction. It has a decent sound for 15's. I have read somewhere that the newer Kustom line is not of the quality level of their earlier stuff. I believe the company has changed hands, died and was reborn, etc. over the years. You might look at the bass gear reviews at http://www-eksl.cs.umass.edu/~schmill/bass-rev.html.

Carvin is good value for the money. I have a 2x10 (4 ohms) and it has a nice overall tone, but the two drawbacks are (1) it is not very efficient, so I have to put a lot of power into it to get decent volume, and (2) its low-end response isn't that great - starts to die out below 60-80 Hz. The Carvin 4x10 is (or was) 8 ohms only, so you might consider that in your decision. I think Carvin would be better off to make their 2x10 cabinets 8 ohms and their 4x10's 4 ohms: it is desirable to put more power into the bigger cabinet.

Other than this, I can't say which is better. I'd recommend the Carvin if the impedance, efficiency, and low-frequency response (look at the f.r. curves, not their stated freq. range) are acceptable to you. If not, then Kustom might be worth looking into.

- Mike

3. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    i personally use the carvin rl410 with a rl15. the 410 definitely gets the job done for me, but thats considering i run the frequency cut off at about 400 Hz. i run clean bass and mids through a 15 and all my highs and FX through the 410's. the rl410 is great for that but i wouldnt run too much low end through it.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I own and use a Carvin RL410T enclosure, I love it, it gets great bottom end, nice mids and very crip highs, it will definatly cut through the mix and fill the room with good earth shaking lows :oops:) and they are very durable, i transport mine all over they are very road worthy...i also use a hartke 2000 head to power it.

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have a Carvin RL1000 head with 4x10 and 1x18 - works great for me.

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hey Brooks, nice name. :)