Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin RL410T: worth it for $346?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Carvin has these on clearance right now for $346 new. I have owned a PB100-10 and I thought that its low-end output was pretty potent, but I've never tried the speaker cabinets.

2. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I used to have the Redeye 210 combo, which is the same drivers and tweeter as that 410...it was really overrated powerwise, and the tweeter was harsh and brittle sounding. I think there's better options for you in that price range, such as Avatar Kappa Pro 410 or the Aguilar S410...

3. Yeah, the combo I had didn't have a tweeter. I'm not sure if I'd even WANT a tweeter--I'm slapping very little these days and trying to bring more distortion into my sound--but the poor power handling is a concern. Is it that the cabinet isn't very loud on a watt-for-watt basis, or that its power handling isn't very high? The latter is much, much less of a concern than the former.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I'm a Carvin fan in many areas, but I think you can do better.

5. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I have never used one, but they are on e-bay right now for 290.00 shipped! That's a pretty good deal! And it's 18" deep, and uses Delta 10s, same as Avatar, only deeper, by 2 ". Should go lower in freq. than Avatar. And at 290.00 shipped is I think a little cheaper than an Avatar. Looks mighty good to me. Wish I had some cash to spend, I think I'd get one.

6. Bumpage.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Carvin/Avatar 210 experience: A couple xmases ago a friend bought the Delta-loaded Avatar 210 after me trying to convince him the Carvin one was better and he should spend the extra $30 or whatever it was at that time. But he pointed at the wattage figures.

His son found out that figures lie. Day after xmas we had a big jam party and each cab got plugged into one side of my Peavey DPC-1400X - 525 watts at 4 ohms. The Avatar was farting even on low E through G before the wattage cam anywhere near to 525. But the Carvin held up - and still holds since it's my jam and small-gigs rig - to a full 525 watt (clip lights tell the story) without any farting with the same bass, same EQ, and same players. And it had a smoother response too. Not to mention a decent crossover (the newer Avatar xover is an improvement over the older one).

His son was just bummed when he had a real-world comparison - and since guys that age tend to turn up - ; }

If you compared to the Avatar Kappa Pro it'd mainly be an issue of the Kappa Pro's unsuitability as a bass driver. It was meant for MID-BASS in a small small box as part of a multi-way PA, or maybe for midbass horn-loaded cabs (I haven't checked on this).

But I must admit I've heard the the Avatar Neo 210 and it sounds as good as my Carvin and can handle more watts and/or low-end EQ boost. So really it'd be between the Carvin and the Avatar Neo IMO - price being the main element.

Actually I'd hope the neo Deltalite II will soon come to Avatar and others, because it's actually decent in the 12 and 15 inch sizes unlike the original Deltalites, and the 10 inch version improves on the Avatar dl1 version in frequency response.

8. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    I have been using a Carvin RL410T for several years now. IME, they are pretty good cabinets for money if you are looking for a hi-fi type of sound.

Ted

9. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Give it a shot. If you don't like it, send it back. I think it's a good cab for the money. I've been really pleased with my Redline combo from Carvin.