CARVIN RL610 has arrived, sort of.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by count_funkula, Apr 10, 2001.

1. I received the R600 head and the 2x10 yesterday. I was very impressed! The quality was great! I haven't played around with it much yet but I was able to get some VERY nice sounds out of it. I was very impressed by the impact the horn made on my overall tone.

One thing I'm unsure about is the BLEND control. It is supposed to control how much of the signal is passed through the tube emulation circuit. As you turn it up the sound seems to lose some of it's bottom end and if you turn it up all the way it just gets real harsh. I haven't played through many real full blown tube amps but the ones I have played didn't sound like that. It's not bad sounding, it's just different than what I expected.

I need a lot more play time to get the feel for this thing but so far I think Carvin has given me exactly what I was looking for in a new rig. We will know for sure when the 1x15 gets here today! :^)

Oh, yea, did I mention the quality!!
  2. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Yeah, the blend is for the tube emulation.

Clockwise is more 'tube' sound, which will get thinner but have more pronounced harmonics.

Counterclockwise is fatter, a solid state sound all the way.

Like it or not, I find the attempt at least admirable. I think the older heads had only one 12AX7 anyway, so it's not like a huge departure from their hybrid. At least you don't have to change out the tube when it goes bad, there's none there.

A resonably priced tube emulation unit is the Tech 21 Sans Amp DI. They fill out a signal nicely when using SS gear. I've loved mine from day one.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Try turning up your Blend and backing off your Gain, (if the gain is past 12 o'clock).

As with the Cyclops, those combos are waaaaaay overpowered (nice problem to have; I sometimes think they purposely do it to force you to get another cab to bridge with it).