Carvin RL6815, RL610, or RL810?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by volumefiend, Feb 16, 2003.

1. RL6815

4 vote(s)
  2. RL610

1 vote(s)
  3. RL810

1 vote(s)
  4. other carvin (please post why!)

1 vote(s)
  1. i am deciding on a carvin system. i had to sell my other cabs to get money for other things. ill make this simple. which would you prefer, and why?
  2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    none. get a carvin head. theyre great. avoid the carvin spekers. theyre not so great.

Im not saying this just because of the common sentiment towards carvin gear. I have a carvin head and a 210 speaker cab. The redline heads are great and I highly reccomend them. The cabinet is constructed well, but has horrible speakers in it. I reccomend looking at Avatar, Peavey, Genz Benz for a better speaker enclosure.
  3. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL

out of the choices you listed, do not go with the cyclops RL 6815. I've heard it is not very portable and I think you'd be happier with a more modular, or portable, setup. So I would choose one of the two stacks you mentioned, but...

You may want to get a Carvin head and different speakers as SRSiegel said. He beat me to it... The redline heads are good for the money because they include alot of things like a good EQ, compressor, etc. that you will not get with other heads. But Avatar speakers are the same price almost and are probably better.

I say 'probably' because I have a Carvin cab and an Avatar but haven't had the chance to really compare the sound at high levels yet since I just got the Avatar. However, I can tell you that my Carvin cab distorts easily at high volumes.

If you get the R1000 head and an Avatar 410 and 115 I think you will be happy. This is one of the best 'bang for your buck' setups you will find. Maybe THE best...
  4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    what he said. only again. and more. and yeah.

fyi i use a genz benz 610T-XB2 cab with my R600 head.

id say get the R1000, its 80 bucks more, worth every penny, as its another 400 watts at your disposal.

ive never played through an avatar cab. but the genz benz stuff is pretty reasonably priced too. I think a carvin head and a GB 410 cab would be sweet, probably fit your budget as well. the avatar 410+115 setup would also be nice i think.
  5. thanks for the input.

i am interested in lows. i have my 4 string tuned to b-e-a-d. i need highs, too. thank you. more input would be much appreciated.
  6. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Like SRSeigel, I became somewhat dis-enchanted with the Carvin 2X10 cab that my RC210 combo came with, but honestly, I was probably misusing it some by gigging with it as a standalone. It sounded much better, (and probably as intended), in a bi-amped situation. Truthfully, I did use it as a standalone for 2 1/2 years in a blues band with zero complaints... It was only when I started playing in a classic rock band with two guitarists that I saw limitations... I replaced the stock speakers with Eminence Kappas which helped a tremendous amount, but I still found the cab lacking...

I am now running the R600 head into one or two homegrown 1X15 cabs, (loaded with Eminence Kappa 15LFA's), and am ever so much happier!

7. I grant the motion into law: Carvin Cabs Blow!

I was sooo happy to unload the rl410t off for negative profit just to make it go away. It has since been replaced with a Goliath III (which i NEVER use and incidentally is for sale in the classifiedshere)

there are a ton of better cabs at the same/similar price points.