1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin SB4000 vs Fender & Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phillipkregg, Nov 17, 2010.

1. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I've been playing Lakland 5's now for years now and I love them, but I'm thinking about going back to a 34" scale 4 string.

Heard great things about the Carving SB series, but right now I'm particular interested in the SB4000 and how it compares to some other basses.

The other basses I'm looking at are:

1) Lakland Darryl Jones 4-string
    2) Lakland 44-60 (JO-4)
    3) Fender Marcus Miller 4
    4) Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
    5) G&L JB-2

I've played all of these except for the Carvin and #1 & #2.

Anyone out there who has played them all - or at least the Carvin and a couple of the others?

How do you think the Carvin 4-string would stack up against these guys?

Also, if you can think of some other bass that I may be leaving out, feel free to chip in.

2. marco mano

marco mano

Apr 11, 2007
    I've played all the Basses you mentioned over the years and the Carvin SB4000 and 5000, tone wise with the stock pickups and electronics will sound as good and then some compared to these other Basses. Feel, playability, construction, parts, Carvin blows the doors off of all these others. Plus the fact you can have a totally custom built instrument with your choice of woods, hardware, color, etc... So how does Carvin stack up? Carvin has nothing to worry about!

3. blmeier7

blmeier7 Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    I've owned a Skyline JO4, Marcus Miller 4, and Geddy Lee jazz. While I haven't played the SB4000 I do have a SB5000. These are all different basses with different sounds and different feels to them. I wouldn't say any one is better than the other, just different. The SB5000 I have has excellent construction, significantly better than Fender or the Lakland Skyline. It really depends on what your personal tastes are and what tone you are going after. They may all be jazz basses but they cover a large spectrum IMO.

The Marcus Miller jazz I had was probably the heaviest bass I have ever owned. I couldn't get over the ultra thin neck of the Geddy Lee jazz and ended up replacing the neck. The JO4 Skyline had a nice light weight to it and seemed to be constructed rather well but it was a weak sounding bass that I ended up selling not too long after I bought it. I really like the way my SB5000 sounds solo, but can't get good tones I like in a band setting. This is mostly due to the ash body, which I've determined over the years that I prefer alder bodies for gigging basses.

With all of this said I do plan on purchasing a SB4000 with alder body in the future.

4. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I'm almost qualified to comment on this. I have a SB5000 and a 4-94. Tone-wise, the Carvin kills the Lakland. Playability-wise, the Carvin is a great bass - but the Lakland felt like I'd been playing it for 20 years the first time I touched it. And you know what? The only other 4-94 I've played felt the same way. There's a little bit of magic in those US Lakland necks.