Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Service and Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Dec 24, 2000.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I have been buying carvin stuff (On-Line) in the last 3 months, and they process the orders manually, they dont give a
    tracking number, and worst of all, they dont even have information when you ask for your order status,the order number that is generated when you order online is worth-sh**t,
    you have to give them your name and shipping info for they to find out which order it was.

Now, after spending some time asking them for a tracking number, I recieved my package, and to my surprise the cables I
    ordered were 15 FOOT long, and the ones I recieved were 1 FOOT
    long!!! How can they manage to make mistakes like that? Even the model number is completely different.

Has anyone on this board have had similar experiences with Carvin or other warehouses?
    Lets make a thread to rate the service of our supliers.

To this day I have to say that A.M.S. has provided the best On-line shopping experience so far, followed by MarsMusic.com and Musicyo.com.

2. When I ordered my LB75, I had no problems with Carvin. They got it to me a week early even. But, service everywhere seems to be getting worse and worse. UPS left a package, with a Digitec rack unit in it, sitting outside the front door of my house! But I dont think it was from AMS. But UPS should know better!
    What did Carvin say about the mistake?

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

This is what I suspect...it isn't just Carvin. It is ANY warehouse and cataolg distributor. Because unemployment is near an all time low, almost anyone who wants a job has one, even if it may not be the job of their dreams. Deserate employers are having to hire people without the qualities they would like just to put "bodies" in the position. As a result, they are getting people with lower education attainment, less ability to interpret orders and information and less of a work ethic in some cases, but that is all they can get to work for minimum wage and no benefits which most entry level warehouse jobs pay. Under that scenario, mistakes are bound to happen and they do, regardless of which merchant is involved. Even if warehouses have "fail safe" systems in place to prevent mistakes, systems fail if people fail to follow the system.

Sorry about the bad luck. I had similar experiences with a well known on line florist.

Jason Oldsted

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yes thats true, but I think that Online bussiness should be FULLY automatic and be database-driven. What I mean is E-Commerce Level 3, where the customer has complete knowledge about their orders, order history, and user profile.

Carvin is completely manual,the system generates a Fax like document for the order, and thats it. No history, no customer information , no nada. That is prone to fail.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I was trying to get an online answers from Carvin about approx. delivery date and some other tech questions I had. I received two responses from Carvin with different e-mail addresses with 2 substantially different answers about delivery date and one of my questions wasn't answered. After resubmitting my e-mail, noting that I had two very different answers and an unanswered question, I finally got some closure. However, even that guy was wrong about the the delivery date, (my stuff $2k+ worth of stuff arrived about two and a half weeks earlier than that person said). When I unpacked the amp, the low frequency input on the speaker cab was already connected to the amp head. So, I just connected the high freq. cabinet input to the appropriate remaining output on the head. When I tried the amp out I couldn't get a decent thud out of the thing without it clipping horribly, My B string sounded like PPPPHHHHHTTTTT. Not good for a $900 practice amp that had won a Gig magazine award. Before sending it back, I gave it one last thorough check and found that Carvin had plugged the head's low freq. output to the cab's high freq. input. HOWEVER, they did almost everything else perfectly. The bass I bought was ordered with more than 6 options and it was built to a T.

Jason's well-articulated point is dead on about the labor force being infested by people with IQ's less than their shoe size and without any awareness or concern about where their paycheck ultimately comes from. Part of the onus for crappy customer service should be on employers/management who don't invest the $$$ in proper training and people development. I find web customer service ranges from excellent to abysmal, just like the non-electronic marketplace.

The Carvin website has a discussion board in the forum format. So far it has been product oriented but I'm thinking about interjecting a dig about customer service when I have something to say/ask about my Carvin gear.

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I agree with the workforce comments throughout this thread, (Though I have dealt with Carvin many times and never experienced any problems), however I think that some of the responsibility also rests with the consumer. Think about it...we're generally the ones who accept less than stellar quality. rickbass1, did you notify Carvin of the wiring mistakes, and if not, how do you expect them to correct the problem? I often accept shoddy workmanship because it is easier to correct it myself than complain to the appropriate person.

I work for a manufacturing company. Several years ago, we experienced a rash of complaints regarding un-threaded holes in final shipped products. One of our biggest distributors stated that they were fed up with constantly having to tap these holes, and had been doing so for the life of the product line (three years at that point!!!)...how does a quality problem like this exist for three years?? The customer had no history of dis-satisfaction on record. Once this was brought to our attention, the problem was corrected, this test was made a part of final QA, and no further complaints about this particular problem.

I am certain that Carvin, as well as many other manufacturers, want to ship the best product, to the highest standards, for the money that they can. To do this, they need considered, constructive, feedback explaining the exact problem.

-robert

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

rllefebv - It wasn't the wiring, it was just the head-to-cab cables. But why "pre-screw it up" for the customer!?! The front of the amp head takes enough effort to learn.

You make a good point about consumer responsibility. I agree totally. However, the clear majority of user posts I've seen regarding anything Carvin on the web have hammered their service. But then, as restaurant research shows, people are more prone to relate a poor experience than a good one. Personally, I'm lukewarm in regard to Carvin. I've found I have to be persistent. But at least they DO respond which is more than I can say for some websites' customer service.