Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Setup Idea

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass2020, Mar 27, 2002.

1. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I want a Carvin amp, I need big lows. I was thinking of getting a Carvin sub and a 2x10 cab.
    With the 1000 watt head.

Would this be a good idea?

2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    the carvin speakers are very weak on the low end IMO. i play through a RC210. ive heard not so favorable remarks about their subs as well. not bad for the money, but you can do better. id suggest checking out the yamaha SW118. (its very affordable, and has gotten better respect)

3. I really like the redline series R-1000, Im gonna get that with some hartke cabs, I was gonna get one of there rig set up's however I have heard there speakers aren't all that great.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I think most will agree that carvin makes some decent amps, but their cabs and speakers are kinda poor. I'm getting a DCM2000 soon. I would get the amp, but look into different cabs..

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I'll agree that Carvin's are a little bit weak in the low end. Especially the specs on there 15's and 18's. But for the price, I dont think they can be beat. It's not like they sound horrible, they sound pretty good IMO, The lows could use just use a little bit more umph in the bottom end.

I dont know how big a lows you need, but maybe you wanna look into peavey cabs. Or even Edens. They get a bit deeper than the carvins.

6. OldBassman

OldBassman Supporting Member

Been playing thru a Carvin R1000 with a Carvin 4x10 and 1 x15. Also use Carvin subs on the PA powered by a DCM 2000. All have performed exceptionally well under extreme conditions of heat and humidity here in south Florida. Can't say that spending bigger bucks would have improved the sound quality. If you decide to go with Carvin and want to keep your rig small try the 2x10 cab. I stick mostly to my 4x10 and DI into the PA to take advantage of the subs for larger venues.

7. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Check out Adire if you want a sub!

8. I don't know which Carvin cab you had in mind, but I'd advise against it. I use a Carvin 15 at our practice studio (because it's there) and can tell you first had it doesn't handle the lows like it should. I biamp a Crest V1100 into my Eden 210T and the Carvin 15. Granted, the Carvin gets everything below 140HZ because that's where I set my xover point and the Eden gets everything higher, but the Carvin is supposed to be rated at 600 watts, the Eden is rated at only 250. The Carvin should have no trouble keeping up with the 210T, but the Eden walks all over it. When the power meters on the Crest pass the halfway point the Carvin starts breaking up and loosing definition, I have to back it off and let the Eden do more of the work.