1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin Sniped on eBay

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pickinator, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Pickinator

Pickinator

Dec 28, 2011
    Eagle River WI
    Doggone it.

A 1 month old Bx 1500 was re-listed for auction all week and it was not bid on last week either. Opening bid was $400. I decided to go for it and bid the $400 with 8 minutes left. In the last 10 seconds 2 other people jumped in and it went to the last guy for $421.

It came with the SV2 and a monster cable.

Back to the drawing board. We'll see what else develops. I sure need a bass amp.

Bummer.:scowl:

2. BrBss

BrBss Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    :scowl: You do realize you can enter a higher bid than the current one, right? I don't get these threads.

3. Last 10 seconds is the only time to bid, blow your wad early and the price will just go up.

4. Eh.. that's always hard though.

5. Nerves of steel and hair-trigger click.

S

6. If you were willing to pay $425 you should have bid that. Happy to pay $500? bid that. The real trick to ebay bidding is being honest with yourself about how much you are personally willing to pay - harder than it sounds. If it goes for more than your figure - fine - that's too much anyway and not so much a deal you want.

And I don't think you need to go too stooped on the last millisecond sniping. Any time within the last 10-7 seconds is fine. Short enough so that someone can't refresh, see your bid and submit another.

7. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
  8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Or you just use a snipe program as many, including myself, do.

9. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    It's true, bid too early and that just gives the other guy time to fret, stew, and eventually justify to himself bidding more and more.

Best to use a snipe program yourself, or else just decide on the maximum $$$ you want to bid and once you enter your bid then FORGET about it until the auction closes.

It is MUCH better to "lose" an auction being outbid than to "win" an auction paying too much. There are lots of bass amps in the world.

Don't sweat it, keep at it and you'll find your deal. Good luck.

10. Pickinator

Pickinator

Dec 28, 2011
    Eagle River WI
    Yes I know I could have bid more. I just figured with nobody going for it in the first auction and nobody in the relist that there wasn't much interest. I have 100% feedback with 51 transactions so I'm neither a nube nor a big-timer.

I debated spending $400 myself considering that up until January 2nd the amp went for $499 + the SV2 cab. I felt like it was an OK price. I didn't even want to go to $405.

The buyer deserves it. I'm just a little bummed. That's all.:(

11. I agree that this is great.

They call it sniping but you're really just playing your hand during the last few seconds. Somebody else bids higher, they're still going to get it, that's the bottom line. But IME there's no serious bidding done until the last few minutes, in most cases.

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    My strategy: Lurk, lurk, lurk. Don't bid anything at all - until the very last 10-12 seconds of the auction.

Then, I swoop in at the last moment with a single bid - and only one. As aggressive as possible - at the highest price I can justify.

This technique a) prevents the price from getting artificially jacked up, and b) prevents a competing bidder from winning with an incremental approach. By the time he sees my bid, it's too late to counter it - unless he's also willing to go big.

I've been able to snag some pretty nice merchandise this way, at some pretty nice prices... :cool:

MM

13. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    Waiting until the last few seconds is probably excessive, and if you have a computer/internet glitch you could miss the thing entirely. Any time in the last minute or 2 should be fine. Plus, don't forget that if 2 bids are the same, the earlier one wins.

Don't bid before the last hour though, ever. All you do is drive up your own price when you do that. And you probably won't get the thing anyway, because the price almost always goes up about 50% in the last few minutes, so unless you accounted for that, you are going to get hosed anyway (and at a higher price than you would if you just waited patiently).

But what do I know, I'm just the guy who a few weeks ago got a B stock Trace Elliot head that would cost about $800 new for $225 (actually, the actual head version is about $1200 I think) which works perfectly and sounds amazing.

14. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Indeed, I don't think I've ever bid on anything I really wanted any time but the last minute or so, usually the last 10 seconds.

15. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

Jul 22, 2009
    Why is it called "winning"? If you bid the highest, by whatever technique, the item is yours - you haven't won it - you bought it. Now if it was a raffle, a lottery or a bet that would be different. "Win" makes it sound like some sort of achievement and it ain't!

16. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Marketing.

Because if ebay gets folks to think they are "losing" then they will spend more to "win"!!!

Everyone wants to "win", right? ;)

17. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    People need to realise the winner is the person who bids most, first, not the person who bids least last. Therefore, put your maximum in early, and ebay bids up to that maximum for you when necessary. If you bid early an honestly, the only people who can 'beat' you are people willing to pay more. If you bid last minute, you can be beaten by someone willing to pay the same as you, and has entered it earlier. Get it so often someone messages me saying they forgot to bid on my auction, and expect me to have sympathy with them trying to pay me less.

18. With regards to bidding the same as someone else, I never bid round numbers. If I think $120 is my price, I might bid $121.56.
    As most people bid round numbers, it allows me to be on top more frequently.

19. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring time on a spinning, shimmery, aqua sphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    I feel your pain. I have watched listings that didn't sell for minimum bid. Then , when relisted, find myself saying that I would pay minimum, be sole bidder, and win because there will likely be no bidders this time around.

In your case, two others may have thought this as well. Your bid was $400, another bid was $420, and the high bid was some amount more than $420, thus the selling price of $421.

Just for fun suppose that the high bid was $425. If you would have bid $430, the sale price would have been $426, and you would have "won."

Auctions can be fun like this, or they can be entirely stinging, especially if you are counting on getting a deal, and hoping others are not interested. Then, you tie yourself to the computer for a last minute bid, only to be outbid. It's definitely frustrating.

There's definitely good advice in this thread, from several posters.

I would say to decide the max amount you are willing to pay. Then, bid that amount, early or late, it doesn't really matter. If it sells for more than your max, so be it. Someone else can have it. If it sells at, or less than, your max bid amount, you "win the right" to be the buyer.

Best!

20. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Just follow the TB classifieds and be done with it. With few exceptions, anything I've ever needed (okay...wanted) shows up here at one time or another. Save your money for that "rainy day".

Riis