Carvin speaker replacement: suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Monkey, May 21, 2001.

1. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I have a Carvin 1x15 with a 600-watt 4-ohm speaker, which I'm powering with a 1000-watt Carvin amp. I really like the cabinet and the speaker is OK, but it seems inefficient to me. I play mostly reggae, and I need serious bottom end. I'm considering changing speakers, and I wonder if anyone has suggestions on a powerful speaker with good bottom end. I think I'd rather stay with 4-ohms, because I can use the full output of my amp (BTW, while I like my Carvin equipment, I think the 1000-watt rating is liberal....). JBL's are great, but expensive.
  2. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I have the same opinion about Carvin's bass cabinets and amps as you do. (I don't have their 1x15, but do have a 1x18 and 2x10.) Anyway, you might look at some of the better Eminence drivers for bass guitar applications. Parts Express seems to have a nice array of them (last I looked, anyway) - see and follow the links to 15" drivers. Some are likely to have better sensitivity than the Carvin drivers. You can get the T-S parameters from Carvin and from Eminence or Parts Express on all of these.

Of course, making sure the driver will work well with that cabinet is another story. I urge you to do searches on this topic in TalkBass and perhaps get some advice from members like Joris or bgavin on this subject if you aren't familiar with it. Matching bass driver and cabinet is not a trivial matter. Even then, you still might not get the big
    bottom you want unless you get a much bigger speaker (like a 2x15, 2x18, or folded horn cab)!

- Mike
  3. The JBL bass drivers have fabulous output, but are real droopers below 65 Hz without EQ assistance. The Eminence Kilomax Pro 15" shows lots of promise but is pricey as hell.

Efficient drivers with good low end response will live in huge cabinets, 20 cubic feet and larger. For example, the ElectroVoice Force 15 puts out 100 SPL and is -3dB at 27 Hz, but requires a cabinet volume of 22.9 cubic feet to make it happen.

Inefficient 15" drivers with good low end response will live in cabs 6 cubic feet and smaller, but at a markedly reduced output (SPL). For example, one of my 15" Rockfords in 5.2 cubic feet needs 2,000 watts to make the same amount of SPL that a Fender HotRod Deluxe does with a 12" JBL E-120 installed.

You can download my spreadsheet that has a lot of this all worked out, response points, etc.

Look for the Musican's Reference Spreadsheet