Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin stack - 15 or 18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassRacer, Apr 11, 2001.

1. one 4x10 and one 1x15

14 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. one 4x10 and one 1x18

38 vote(s)
    60.3%
  3. two 4x10s

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. one 8x10

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. BassRacer

BassRacer

Mar 22, 2001
    I am considering ordering a carvin stack, either the
    RL1015 or the RL1018. I play mostly 80's/ early 90's
    commercial metal (Ratt, Warrant, Crue), 4 string, but I
    would like to get a 5 string in the near future. I wish that
    Carvin had a store here on the right coast so I could test one out, but unfortunately they don't. So I figure what the
    heck, they do have a ten day return policy, and shipping it
    back through work would not be a problem. So the question
    is, what would be better, the 15" or the 18". Or even just
    build my own system with two 4x10s. The new 8x10 system IS
    very tempting, but just looking at it hurts my back.
    They should sell a system with two 4x10s. It would be a lot
    more transportable, and give you the option of using just
    one 4x10 if that's all you needed for a certain gig.

BassRacer

2. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I would go with the 4x10" and one 18" that way you could take only the 4x10" if you desired. I would also get the 18" over the 15" cause it will give you a deeper low end and will (should) last longer. This system will also be a lot easier to transport, one box at a time and all. I would go agains the 8x10" for the time being, if for no other reason than the fact that you aren't going to be able to go and try it out, and it is a new product and all.

3. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I voted 4x10+18.

I like 10's + 15's a lot too, but I also dig that an 18 can handle so much power and they can be positively thunderous if fed enough.

4. I'd go with two 4x10's. Carvin mis matches the ohms on their cabs which is not good for the head. Regardless of what they tell you at the store.

Their 4x10 is an 8ohm and every other cab they sell is 4ohm. That would make you run at 2.67ohms which is not a safe load.

Just something to take into consideration.

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I went through this decision process 9 months ago....I bought Carvin 1018. I just like the low-end rumble of a good 18, always have.

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    What chaoslord said is true I think. I don't know why their 4x10 is 8 ohms, doesn't make sense really.

You could always go for the RC21018. Then you have the 2x10 combo + the 18. Later on if you want, you could get another 2x10. Then you could daisy chain the 2x10's on one channel for 500 watts into 2 ohms(250 per 2x10) and still have 350 to the 18. :)

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The 4x10 + 18 was my vote only because I've been content with mine. The 18" just simply blooms in a big room.

I would have voted for the obviously louder 8x10 because it is such a good deal, but I don't have a gofer to haul it for me. I've had refrigerator amps and don't care to go back there if I have to transport them.

8. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I like 4x10's too rb. I just can't figure out why Carvin's is 8 ohms v. 4 ohms on every other cab.

9. rickbass

seamus - I wonder if it's another one of these "ohm mysteries" and we aren't actually running at 2.67. I find it hard to swallow that Carvin is the sole make on the market that runs intentionally at an odd load...2, okay, but 2.67 :confused:

I'd think we'd have smoked `em long ago.

10. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Yeah I dont know either, I didn't post the thing on the 2.xx ohms, I was just agreeing that it's the oddball rating in their enclosures.

The thing is, they aren't the only ones that make an 8 ohm 4x10. In fact, I think most, or at least a substantial amount of 4x10 units out there are 8 ohms. It's a common impedance for that cab config.

It's just a shame that it's getting less watts when you biamp. I guess if you have enough power though, it's all good to go. I'm just used to having the power distributed equally to my cabs.

I would defnintely play 4x10's though, I like em a lot.

11. I confronted Carvin about 6 months ago regarding the mismatch. The conversation went something along these lines, and keep in mind I am a Carvin owner so I'm not just trying to bad mouth them.

Me: "Excuse me, I bought one of your premade stacks and I was wondering why you'd sell me two cabs that have a mismatched ohms load."

Carvin: "What do you mean ?"

Me: "Your 4x10 is 8ohm, every other cabinet you sell is 4ohm. If I combine any of those it gives me a 2.67 ohm load."

Carvin: "Well it's a true stereo amp so you never combine the load, you'd never get that rating."

Me: "It still pulls uneven power from the sides of the amp, which I have confirmed via 3 different amp repair shops is a bad idea."

Carvin: "Well sir they don't know the exact scematics of our amp."

Me: "The scematics don't matter, it's an uneven pull regardless. Plus you give me a mono bridge feature which has dual speaker outs, leading me to believe I can plug in both of my cabs and bridge them together. Yet I did this and low and behold my amp blows up and ends up with your repair center."

Carvin: "Well sir you shouldn't ever bridge into a load that low."

Me: "Why do you assume that everyone knows how ohms work, My job is to play the amp, your job is to make sure it works correctly in each configuration given."

Carvin: "I'm sorry you feel that way but that's all I can do for you."

Me: "No that's all your willing to do. Have a good day." *exits store*

I love there amps, I just think they are morons in this aspect and since my amp ended up having to be repaired I don't want to have anyone else go through that if they don't need too.

12. rickbass

Mike - Was that "Dr. Sound" you talked to? I had a an e-mail exchange with that part of the organization a while back regarding Carvin speaker efficiency. I gave it up because I don't know enough tech talk but I do know to bail when I'm getting near what I don't know jack about.

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    ??? Looking through Carvins 15s and 18s (drivers) available for sale by themselves, they are mostly rated at 8ohms.

So, if you are talking about getting a 1x15 or a 1x18 then isn't it going to be rated 8 ohms typically?

Then, you add the 8 ohm 4x10 and you are in business.

Holy smokes! I just checked the website and their cabs really are rated at just 4 ohms!! I am really suprised, that is completely lame. So, if you wanted to add one of their 1x15s or 1x18s to my R600 head I would have to change the driver.

All in all I love my Carvin stuff. But I can certainly see the problem here.

I guess I have to vote for the unlisted option. 1 4x10 (i accidentally wrote 4x120... how's that for power????) and 2 of their 4ohm 1x15s! :p

14. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    lol I want the 4x120 ;)

15. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    One has to be REALLY careful about how speakers are hooked up to an amp, unless you actually *like* to break things! ;) Carvin's manuals, as well as the printing on the back of their amps, are amazingly clear about what you should and shouldn't do. You have to be careful. I know quite a bit about electronics, and I STILL have to take my time when I'm hooking up speakers to my Redline heads. There's no substitute for being careful.

Anyway, as I've said in other threads, I think it is silly that Carvin's 4x10 is 8 ohms, while their 2x10 is 4 ohms. It should be the opposite. They should use 16-ohm drivers instead to get the right total impedance.

One could rewire the 4x10 for 2-ohm operation, and run it off one side of a Redline amp. It might mess up the crossover a bit to the horn, though. This is a question one might pose to Carvin.

If you don't need a really strong bottom, you can always buy 2 4x10 cabinets. You could hook them in parallel (e.g., run their cables to the two bridged outputs) for a total impedance of 4 ohms. Press the bridge switch on the R1000 and you have the 1000 watts split to both cabinets.

Since their 1x15 and 1x18 are each 4-ohm cabinets, the above is not recommended for these - you have to run them off separate stereo (non-bridged) channels, unless you run either by itself bridged.

- Mike

16. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I agree totally... I always wanted to get a pair of 2x15s and sit a 4x10 on top and then biamp into that... But I guess if I buy it from carvin I should make darn well sure that they don't send me some 2 ohm cabs or sumthin... :p

Of course I need to wait for my wallet to catch up to my gas anyways... ;)

With that rig I have kinda had a fantasy about looking out at my audiance and saying, "Now don't make me hurt you." :D

17. BassRacer

BassRacer

Mar 22, 2001
    I don't think that I will ever fully understand
    the ohm thing, but from what I can see from
    checking out some of the other manufacturers,
    it's not the 4x10 that's the oddball, it's the
    1x15 and 1x18.
    The other makes that I have looked at, the 410s
    are 8ohms just like Carvins. But their 115s
    are also 8ohms, unlike Carvins which is rated at
    the odd 4ohms.
    Not what I really don't understand, like gbrooks
    said, looking through the Carvin catalog, they DO
    have a 15" and 18" speakers listed for bass guitar
    in either a 4ohm or an 8ohm. So the question is,
    why do they use the mismatched 4ohm speakers in
    their cabinets?

18. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I think the design impedance of a cabinet has a lot to do with the power handling capability of the drivers in it. In Carvin's case, their 15" and 18" drivers will handle a lot of power - as much as a single channel of their most powerful bass amp (the R1000) will dish out. So in this case, it makes sense that they are 4-ohm units. Carvin's amps are also designed to handle 2-ohm loads per channel.

Many 10" drivers, because they typically can't handle as much power, are 16-ohm units. A 2x10 would then be 8 ohms, and a 4x10 would be 4 ohms. Yes, Eden and others do offer 8-ohm 4x10 cabinets as well. I think it really has a lot to do with what amplifier you intend to use to drive your rig. It's user preference. I have no regrets about my Carvin's 1x18 cabinet being 4 ohms: (a) it can handle all the power that the R1000 can dish out (one channel), and (b) is is rather inefficient and NEEDS that much power.

However, I think their 2x10, at 4 ohms, is silly because it draws too much power for its own good (I've even damaged one of the drivers because of it). It would be much more sensible for the Carvin 2x10 to be 8 ohms and their 4x10 to be 4 ohms. Better yet (as you imply) would be for Carvin to offer buyers a choice of 4 or 8 ohms for their various cabinets. This would not be that difficult for them to offer (might raise costs slightly).

- Mike

19. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Yep, and if only given a choice... certainly I would pay to get more close to what I need. It is a disapointment that I would have to buy extra speakers and change them myself, possibly rewire the silly thing all to get something that should (IMO) work out of the box. :p

Ironicly I will probably be purchasing 2 Carvin 15s shortly. (Their cast frame 4 ohm models) so that I can bump up my Peavey 2x15 to a 8 ohm cab, not top mention have speakers in it that are halfway decent.

20. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Hmmm. Is there something wrong with this thread? It keeps showing having been updated, but when I view and reload, gbrooks' post (4/14) is the last one. Anybody else having problems with this one thread?
    - Mike