Carvin stack???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oldirtymoney, Jan 27, 2003.

1. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    Hows that phat carvin stack that comes with the 1000 watt head??? im thinkin about getting it because its such a good deal. My ampeg half stack and b2r head just isnt cuttin it anymore. You guys give me a little info alright? peace
  2. Do a search on this forum for what you are looking for. I think you'll find that Carvin gets mixed reviews in general. I have a Carvin powered board and one of their power-amps. I've had really good service from them.... :D
  3. SCH

May 3, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    I got the rig you thinking about getting a couple of years ago. The R-1000 is a good value and a solid performer. Carvin loads the thing up with a zillion knobs and buttons, so finding the tone you're looking for may take a while, but it's still a good head.

I don't think much of Carvin cabs, and I haven't used mine in a long time. I'm currently using the R-1000 with some Bag End S-15D's, and am much happier. YMMV.
  4. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I think Carvin cabs are good for the money (I have a 4x10), but other people seem to prefer Avatar, which are about the same price or even cheaper.

I have a Carvin combo amp (300w, 15" speaker) that I've had for 10 YEARS and it is the greatest combo amp in the world. Never had a single problem with it and it is loud enough for band practices.
  5. mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    I've got the R600 with the 4x10 and a 1x18. the head's one of the most versatile for tone control i've tried to date. the cabs can hold their own to the point that i'm definitely keepin them due to the investment, but have heard swr and eden cabs that have much more UMPHH to 'em.
  6. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I think eden, SWR, and those guys use a higher grade of speaker. Still, I don't think the Carvins sound bad.
  7. i couldnt toss my carvin cabs quick enough!!! they sound GREAT for guitar cabs. The 10's have no lows. YMMV.
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I just sold my Cyclops, (R600 head combo) and still hang on to my RL1018 stack because it is just such a solid, not "great", performer that refuses to give me a minute of trouble after 2+ years and countless road miles in the back of a Ryder truck.

Still, my RL1018 will be history as soon as I get a power amp for my Aguilar preamp and Eden cabs.

As others have alluded to, Carvin cabs are poor cousins to the R heads. I don't know if the problem is whatever Eminence speakers they use, the cab design, or both. But they sure wimp out when you want a big B string, IME.
  9. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    as mentioned above...
    I have the R1000 and an Avatar 4x10. Great sound and PLENTY of power. I've never had to really push this head very hard--but use it all the time and it performs great.
    good luck in your search!
  10. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Ive got a series 2 R600. love the head. hate the carvin 210 cab that it came with.

I've noticed carvin speakers to be very inefficient, and very unable to handle any decent amount of low end.

I would buy the head again in a heartbeat, but avoid the cabs. I just bought a genz benz 610, will post a review later.
  11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Carvin bass speakers are just relabelled Eminence Beta's. You can do much better, that's for sure. Eminence Delta's are what a bunch of other manufacturers use, including Avatar, which have much larger magnets and better bass response.

What is embarrassing is that Carvin sells those relabelled speakers for much more than you can get Eminence Delta's at (I'm not affiliated, just a satisfied past customer).
  12. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    well there prices are great
  13. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    It's really disappointing that Carvin doesn't use better speakers, cuz the construction of the cabs otherwise is very respectable. Very solid with a nice grill and good handles.

I was noticing at practice tonight that my Carvin cab distorts easily...I agree that they can't handle the lows very well at all.
  14. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    huh... i dont think the carvins are eminence betas... theyre actually worse. lower power handling and not as wide a frequency response. (i checked both companies websites)

true that the conventions for measuring frequency response and power handling are different, but I highly doubt carvin would make their speakers sound worse on paper than they already are.

i was practicing through my RC210 combo last night, in a basement. true the thing does a decent job of filling a small room, when volume levels are only moderate, but as the notes got lower (im particularly font of those from the 2nd position D flat on the B to the 4th position A flat on the E string) the cabinet gets muddier and muddier. Unless I play the lower notes very lightly, the thing farts out a lot. while it is only a 210 cab, so i can only expect so much, I have played much better. granted they also cost 4 times as much.

Bottom line i think there are better deals out there for the money. check out genz benz. thats the route i took.
  15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not all are lower power handling, SR. The Cyclops I just sold has an Eminence rated at 500W. Still, it can't handle a fairly loud B string.

I've used Genz's where I just had to use whatever was already set-up on the stage. They, (XB2's) impressed me so much! Their 10"s almost had me thinking I was hearing a top-notch 15". I think they're a well-kept secret.
  16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I was gonna get a carvin stack, if i didn't like my old crappy peavey stuff so much.....
  17. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    good point, rickreyn, i only looked at the beta 10s and the carvin PS10s

why am i so narrow minded? the only carvin speakers i have are 10s. my 18 is an eminence omega pro.