Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CARVIN strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gopher Bob, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    anyone ever bought carvin strings. they seem like a good deal, but do they sound good?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

When I got a new Carvin LB75 last Jan., the strings were so bad I braved ice and snow-covered streets so I could replace them within 48 hrs. of receiving the bass.

When I sent the bass in for repairs in Sept., Carvin sent it back to me with a new set of different strings (than the original factory set) that sounded very good..............for about 10 hrs. . After 10 hrs. of playing them, they died a very rapid death and made way for a new set of DR's. To me, the DR's are the "better deal" because they last like crazy.

As "bargain basement" strings go, I found the www.webstrings.com better than either set of Carvins. But Webstrings doesn't offer tapered strings, last time I looked.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I bought six packs of Carvin strings about a year ago because they so cheap. Rick is right on. They sounded really good but died very quickly.

Another beef I had with them is quality control. In a couple of the packs, the A string (don't know why, but it was the A in both) simply would not properly intonate.

I am not a physicist or anything, but it was as if there was a material or maufacturing flaw in them that prevented the string from oscilating correctly. You could put them on a tuner and strike the open string and watch the needle swing in and out of 440 in perfect time until the note decayed. It was very weird. I Ended up giving the last two packs to the kid in the youth band.

I am not sure where they buy them, but they are probably overstocks from GHS or someone. I have heard more than one person say they were boomers. They do both have black thread windings.

Chas

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Last I heard, they used to get their strings from GHS but now get them from La Bella. I tend to use 'em just because (1) it's hard to find gauges I like and the Carvin gauges have worked for me, and (2) between 2 6-string basses, 3 electric guitars, and a classical, keeping all my puppies in strings could send me to the poorhouse if I'm not careful. Still, I have to think that better options are available. I haven't tried DR bass strings (though I use nothing else on my electric guitars) because getting the 6 string gauges I want is a pain. I bet they're nicer than the Carvin/LaBellas, though. Wouldn't it be nice if Carvin started getting their strings from DR but sold them at Carvin prices ....