1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CARVIN strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gopher Bob, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    anyone ever bought carvin strings. they seem like a good deal, but do they sound good?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

When I got a new Carvin LB75 last Jan., the strings were so bad I braved ice and snow-covered streets so I could replace them within 48 hrs. of receiving the bass.

When I sent the bass in for repairs in Sept., Carvin sent it back to me with a new set of different strings (than the original factory set) that sounded very good..............for about 10 hrs. . After 10 hrs. of playing them, they died a very rapid death and made way for a new set of DR's. To me, the DR's are the "better deal" because they last like crazy.

As "bargain basement" strings go, I found the www.webstrings.com better than either set of Carvins. But Webstrings doesn't offer tapered strings, last time I looked.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I bought six packs of Carvin strings about a year ago because they so cheap. Rick is right on. They sounded really good but died very quickly.

Another beef I had with them is quality control. In a couple of the packs, the A string (don't know why, but it was the A in both) simply would not properly intonate.

I am not a physicist or anything, but it was as if there was a material or maufacturing flaw in them that prevented the string from oscilating correctly. You could put them on a tuner and strike the open string and watch the needle swing in and out of 440 in perfect time until the note decayed. It was very weird. I Ended up giving the last two packs to the kid in the youth band.

I am not sure where they buy them, but they are probably overstocks from GHS or someone. I have heard more than one person say they were boomers. They do both have black thread windings.

Chas

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Last I heard, they used to get their strings from GHS but now get them from La Bella. I tend to use 'em just because (1) it's hard to find gauges I like and the Carvin gauges have worked for me, and (2) between 2 6-string basses, 3 electric guitars, and a classical, keeping all my puppies in strings could send me to the poorhouse if I'm not careful. Still, I have to think that better options are available. I haven't tried DR bass strings (though I use nothing else on my electric guitars) because getting the 6 string gauges I want is a pain. I bet they're nicer than the Carvin/LaBellas, though. Wouldn't it be nice if Carvin started getting their strings from DR but sold them at Carvin prices ....