Carvin Tape Clack

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stifffingers, Feb 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Stifffingers

Stifffingers

Feb 21, 2014
    Hi folks,

I recently picked up a fretted Carvin AC40 to use in semi-acoustic gigs. I like the tone, feel, weight, etc. of the bass, but was surprised at its clackiness when fretting (not plucking) the black tapewound strings (I play only fingerstyle). I understand piezos are particularly prone to emphasizing percussive finger noise, but are the tapewounds contributing to the clack? This is my first experience with them. Would normal flats or Chromes be less clacky and still provide the DB-ish tone? Thanks, and my apologies in advance if this has been covered ad nauseum.

2. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Tapewounds can be clacky if the action is set lowish, Tapewounds tend to minimise finger noise from sliding but can introduce clack if the action is set too low, I have used tapes in the past and loved the tone but I found that they definitely seem to favour a high-ish action

3. Stifffingers

Stifffingers

Feb 21, 2014
    Thanks for the response, but I should clarify one thing. The clack I am referring to comes from my fingers pressing the strings to the frets, not from the strings slapping against the frets when plucked. It seems to me that having higher action would only exacerbate the problem by requiring harder fingering technique.

4. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Ok, well it may be worth trying just to see if it does make a difference, tapewounds are usually very low tension so the amount of force needed to fret a note may not be that much more

5. I too have found that "thwacking" noise when using tapes on a fretted bass and it drove me crazy. My AC40 is fretless and has Fender tapes on it. Good combo. If you can't get it figured out you may want to try flats or the new compressed bronze strings Ghs has out now.

6. I think it's more related to the piezo than the strings. Have you tried fretting with a lighter touch to see if that helps?

7. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I had some clack issues on my piezo equipped bass a while back. Seems that backing off the mids on the amp helped a lot.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021