Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Timothy B Schmit Model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jan 16, 2003.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    What do you think of them.

Has anybody tried one yet.

BTW, Tim's a dangerously underrated bassist.

2. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I wish I could sing like Timothy B. Schmidt....

3. TK65

TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    The TBS4 is basically an LB20, with stripped down electronics (a single volume knob), so it probably "feels" like a standard LB20. There are other features (standard quilted/flamed top, no fret markers, etc), but generally speaking, anyone who has played an LB20 has played a TBS4.

There are detailed specs on this model, if anyone is interested, on my site:

[​IMG]

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Thinner neck, eh?

5. TK65

TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    Ah yes...wise guy! :D

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ive actully played it..... big woopty doo. as was mentioned before, it's just a LB20 with nice looks and stripped down stuff.

Now, here is PollyBass's rant on good musicians that have custom basses

*Ahem*

Ok, if i was going to have a custom, AFTER MY OWN NAME, Bass made, i would pop in great pickups, a preamp that i liked (after much testing) and bridge. along with everything else.... so my question is...

Whats up with these bassists saying "Less is more"....It's not, i mean, I can understand if they don't WANT or NEED all the extra stuff, but i mean, heck, why not have as many tones as possible by adding good electronics in there? like "Give me a plank, with a pickup, and strings, and no preamp, also, just put in a "Volume" knob...".........

Alright.

Rant off.:)

7. TK65

TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    Agreed, Polly - mine would have 3 necks, a flame thrower, and all sorts of other gizmos. Seriously.

But in defense of Timmy B., that is how he plays 'em - he's been having Carvin build 'em like that for him for years - so, even though it's not really my cup o' tea, it really is a signature model - at least as far as being a model inspired by the artist, and not just an endorsement ploy. Realistically, how many people will actually buy one? Most everyone I've spoken to has said they'd at least want a tone pot. I've heard that that is why the Nicki Sixx Thunderbird bass wasn't very popular - no knobs at all - just an on/off switch. Unless you have your own sound guy (like Nicki), how are you supposed to tweak while you play?

All that being said, I think it's a good move by Carvin - putting into production a model inspired by a long time endorser, built to his specs - not just slapping some new color on an existing model and making it a signature series for some bassist that's the current flavor of the week. Same goes for the Bunny Brunel - find a bassist who's a fan of the product, and design something to his spec and make it a siggy model - a good move. Most other manufacturers (but not all!) take existing models, and maybe paint 'em different, or do something simple like different pickups, and make it a Geddy Lee model or a Sting model - I actually appreciate Carvin for not taking the mainstream "play it safe" approach to signature series gear - the Holdsworth, the Brunel and now the TBS4. And it's a well-deserved nod to a bassist who has been a longtime supporter of the line.

Now *that's* a rant!

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Now THATS what i'm TALKING about. man, that would just be the BEGINING! That thing would be so tricked out. it would not even be funny.

Good points, a MUCH better rant than mine:D

9. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    [​IMG]

Some people do think that less is more. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean they are wrong. To you, maybe less isn't more. Good for you.

But to some, less is more.

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    OK now, I think the DG model makes so much more sense than the TB model. If you're going minimalist, go all the way. No knobs makes more sense to me than a volume knob on a 2 p'up bass.
    But, it's Tim B's baby, so I won't fault him for that.
    I just won't buy one.

11. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    For what it's worth, I was pretty impressed with the tone TBS got from his Carvin fretless on "New York Minute" on the Hell Freezes Over show. Not too bad for a no-frills bass.

12. They coulda done a whole lot worse. I won't name any names, but I'm a lot less baffled by Carvin's choice than I am of some other companies and their signature models.

13. TK65

TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    Wouldn't be that Mark Hoppus dude, would it? :D

14. What about the bling? People are really loosing their sense of bling these days...sad :D

15. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I tried the Hoppus bass, and I usually don't like P basses. But the Hoppus sig was pretty nice!

The namesake of the bass on the other hand...;)

16. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    As someone who prefers as little crap in my signal chain, I applaud Schmidt's decision to yank the electronics out of the bass. Those things have gotten so cheap and ubiquitous that most people don't realize how good a bass guitar can sound without them. The bad ones actually obscure the acoustic contributions of the woods.

Now if Schmidt would only get rid of that volume knob...

17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    WRONG! less is NOT more, it's not even POSSIBLE. They might like the tone of a stripped down bass, but LESS is NOT more. it's a stupid redundant phrase.

18. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    This, Polly, is you [​IMG]

You are stuck in a box. Think outside of it. Try lateral thinking. It is fun.

It doesn't literally mean less is more. Of course less isn't more! That makes no sense in the literal world.

I bet that to Dann Glenn, that bass sounds and plays better than any other bass he has played. To him, it is probably worth more than any bass out there. To him, it is more bass than any other bass out there.

More extraneous crap added on to something, like 3 necks, a flamethrower, and other gizmos, isn't more. It is more crap.

It's all in the eyes of the beholder. To each his own. Whatever floats your boat.

To you, more is more. Good for you.

To some people, LESS IS MORE. IT'S FREAKING GOOD FOR THEM TOO!!!

19. TK65

TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    Whaddya know? Less is indeed more! Here's proof:

[​IMG]

Oops, I probably should have put a [JOKE] [/JOKE] tag around that - wouldn't want anyone to think I'm serious.

Now, where's my flamethrower bass?

D'oh! Did it again...

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Geddy Lee Jazz has different pickups, bound neck with block inlays, Badass II bridge and a custom width/profile neck(modeled after Geddy's own Jazz which had the neck shaved down by a luthier) that is not found on any other Fender model.

Not a good example.