Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Timothy B. Schmit Signature Model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PilbaraBass, Jul 8, 2005.

1. 2 stacked humbucking J's and only a single volume control...no tone...no balance

I don't get it... Why do that? simple, yes...but seriously...why not at least two volumes?

2. I really like TBS's playing and sound (totally different than the sound I go for, but his sound fits the music he plays just perfectly) and assume he always plays with both pickups wide open and the passive tone control to flat (i.e., all the way up) on his original J Bass. I guess Carvin assumes there are a group of players out there that play with the same settings and wouldn't mind the extra circuitry taken out. I guess it's like the Anthony Jackson Fodera models... there's not even a volume control on those. I would think the very small, subtle advantage of having a 'pure' tone directly from the pickup to the preamp would be more than offset by having the controls available if you want them on occasion. It will be interesting to see how many of those sell.

3. Wallyworld

Wallyworld

Jul 19, 2010
    My post is 6 years later than the last one. I'm doing this because I just got a TBS4 I special ordered from Carvin about 6 weeks ago. My "special order" is that I wanted 2 volumes pots (one per pup). I thought it would be a rough equivalent to a G&L SB-2, taking into account that the TSB4 has two J99's, whereas the SB-2 has a P-bass pup and a J-bass (sort of) pup. My great idea did'nt work out so well. There's very little difference whether I use full up on the bridge pup, full up on the neck, a combination, etc. I'm thinking about replacing the pots with a stacked vol/tone, vol/tone (like on a '62 Jazz). Everything else is perfect! Action, great neck, intonation straight from the factory, etc. Just my 2 cents. BTW, my music genres are pretty well in the classic r&r, r&b, jazz, country.