Carvin TR1503 3-Way Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StevieM, Jul 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. StevieM

StevieM

May 10, 2016
    Logan, WV
    Yeah, yeah. I remember..... I was lurkin' around here when all the rage (15,000+ posts, iirc) was goin' on about Carvin's LS1503, as THE "budget boutique" 3-way cabinet. It was pretty much billed as being the second coming, as far as bang-for-your-buck goes. Well, that very thing flashed in my mind when I ran into a used Carvin TR1503, for $90, shipping included. But (there's ALWAYS one of those), the thing is, I got the model numbers crossed up with the Carvin LS1503 cabs. The plan was to use it out in the garage/man cave/part-time practice space, to play on, and maybe listen to music thru. Did I blow my money on something that'll be useless, as far as a bass cab? Is it actually a pretty good cabinet to play thru, as far as how it'd sound? And, in layman's terms, what's the difference between the Carvin LS, and TR Series Cabinets, as far as using it as a bass cab? Any, and ALL opinions are more than welcome.

Here's all the specs on the 2 particular models in question, if it'll help anyone with my question. Hell, they may as well be written in Mandarin, as far as myself getting any info out of 'em. Thanks again.

http://carvinimages.com/manuals/tr1503.pdf

http://carvinimages.com/manuals/76-15230D-LS-SPKRS.pdf

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The TR series was/is quite a bit more upscale, with 30 pounds of extra weight to prove it. Yel_wink.gif I haven't heard one in a long time, but I remember them as being pretty decent PA cabs. As long as you don't need to move it there's a good chance it'll be a substantial upgrade to the LS1503 IMHO.

3. StevieM

StevieM

May 10, 2016
    Logan, WV
    And, as a bass cabinet? Anyone tried the TR1503 as a cab?

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    It has considerably better specs for bass applications in pretty much every way except for the crushing 88 lb. weight.

5. StevieM

StevieM

May 10, 2016
    Logan, WV
    Thanks. That's pretty much the answer I was lookin' for.